Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:22 PM   #1

I'm currently shooting a Digital Rebel 300D and looking to upgrade to a better camera. I know megapixel count between 6 and 8 is moot, but have ZERO experience with Minolta and am a relative newcomer to photography. I shoot mainly nature and landscape, so need the advice of you gurus as to wide and zoom lenses, as well as the suitablility of the 7D for this type of shooting.
By the way, GREAT FORUMS! Lots of passionately, informative commentary on all things Minolta. My options have been the new Digital Rebel XT (since I already own 3 Tamron lenses for Canon) and/or the Canon 20D.
Okay, folks, talk me outta the Canons and into the 7D! My total budget is around $2500 US. (Not counting trade-ins on my "old" equipment)
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2005, 9:01 AM   #2

Well....First offI would have to say Ease of Use. The majority of primary controls are knob/button based on the body, not menu driven, which makes it easier toadjust.

The inbody anti shake is an invaluable asset, especially since you only buy it once.

I happen to like and use quite often the wirelessTTL flash,Its nice firing multiple flashes remotely and the flash units can fit in my backpack.

Minolta is known for its Glass, They make some of he best lenses on the market.

The noise levels across all of the iso's is super low, do a search on this board, I remember some shots on a docka member took WOW!

Also look at the LCD, its huge on the 7D which allows for quick review of your shots.

I also shoot nature and landscapes and I only have one gripe, due to the 1.5x increase in focal length due to ccd size you cant get a WIDE lens to be really WIDE. This type of problem is inherent in all camera with a ccd smaller than 35 mm film.

There are some "D" ( digital ) lenses available which compensate for the different sensor size but few super wide lenses.

Sigma is planning a 10mm lens, but no time line on a Minolta AF mount yet :sad:

Now thedown sides,

Price- its a little pricey, but you get what you pay for ( super build quality)

You already have $$$ invested in anothermanufacturer's lenses, even if you were to sell them or trade them in you are going to take a loss.

To sum it up, I am super happy with this camera. I would not hesitate a moment if I were to buy again. You wont be disappointed.

Go to the camera shop, and play with one. Compare all the models your considering side by side for weight, ease of use, how it fits inyour hand,Burst speed ( write to card time) so you can make an educated guess.

I think you will pick the 7D, but I am biased! :roll:

Charlie

chaznolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 7:39 PM   #3

chaznolan wrote:
Quote:
I only have one gripe, due to the 1.5x increase in focal length due to ccd size you cant get a WIDE lens to be really WIDE. This type of problem is inherent in all camera with a ccd smaller than 35 mm film.

There are some "D" ( digital ) lenses available which compensate for the different sensor size but few super wide lenses.

Sigma is planning a 10mm lens, but no time line on a Minolta AF mount yet :sad:
KM is coming out with an 11-18mm, 18-200mm, and 18-70mm, lens this fall. . .should be nice
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote