Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 15, 2005, 7:49 PM   #1

Hi, I am new to these forums and so far have been impressed by what I have seen here. Looks like a very good, friendly place to get info and advice. So on that note, I jump in. I am by no means a professional photographer, and not even that great an amateur, but that is mostly because I can't really see spending lots of money shooting rolls and rolls of film only to have one or two good shots. A digital SLR appeals to me because you can shoot all day and simply delete the bad shots. I anticipate greater use of my camera if I could do that.

So, I am considering a Maxxum 7D to replace my older Minolta AF camera because I wouldn't have to replace the several lenses I own. All I'm really waiting for is the price to maybe drop a little and to have the spare cash lying around. In the meantime, I was wondering if the 7D will accept a T-mount? I know in the past with some Minoltas (and with my current camera) this was not possible because the body needs a lens attached to it for the shutter to fire. I suspect that the same may be true for the 7D?

If this is the case, what would be the next best thing for telescopic photography with a 7D short of spending big bucks on a 1200 mm lens?

Thanks! Steve
StevenBVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2005, 7:46 PM   #2

shutter/lens lockout is menu selectable with the 7D

if a t adapter worked on your maxxum it should work on the 7D
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 1:15 PM   #3

Just last week I bought a 7D, my first serious digcam. Among the accessories I bought along with it was a set of extension rings and a t-mount adapter. I haven't had time to try it out yet, but it should work perfectly. Obviously, no meter coupling or AF, but neither would be common for astrophotography. I want to mount my Celestron C-90 (imagine: effective FL of1500mm!) for wildlife photography, if it's sharp enough. And I may fiddle around with astrophotography.

My understanding is that Canon uses CMOS sensors and have much lower noise - and are therefore better suited for astrophotography. So if that's your passion, get the Canon. I've only dabled in it, so reviews of quality & ease of use were more important, and led me to the 7D.
jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 4:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the info... my limit of astrophotography would be mostly dabbling myself. The telescope I have would not be suitable for deep space! I also would like to use it as a wildlife lense.

Old Jun 8, 2005, 8:47 AM   #5

I want to get into astrophotography,and have a nice Meade LXD-55 8" reflector. At first I'd piggyback the 7D on the scope, and the scope would only be a guiding tool. But later I'd like to try mounting the cam to the scope, which has a T-adapter for the focuser. I'll be very interested to see just how long an exposure you can make before noise becomes a problem. The automatic dark-field subtraction will be handy.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 7:51 PM   #6

minolta 7D uses a 'CMOS' sensor

if you do the astrophotography thing shoot in RAW or set the sharpness to +2

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:08 AM   #7
Administrator

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
minolta 7D uses a 'CMOS' sensor
The 7D uses a CCD (not CMOS) sensor that is manufactured by Sony.

But, there is nothing that says a CMOS sensor is better than a CCD Sensor. You have tojudge them on a case by case basis (versus looking at the type of sensor being used).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 7:05 PM   #8

I tried out a T-mount lens for the first time. Surprise, surprise, it don't work! Says "No lens", even in mf mode. So they have the gall to REQUIRE that an auto-focus lens be attached??? I'll be contacting them on that issue for sure! If there's no work-around, then the camera isn't merely a poorer choice for astrophotography - it CANNOT work!!! Unless I'm missing some setting that would permit it. Any ideas?
Old Jun 20, 2005, 6:01 AM   #9

That's why I posted my original question in this thread. My current Minolta 450si has the same requirement... a lense must be attached for it to work, and thus I cannot use it with my telescope. This likely won't stop me from getting the 7D since I don't use the scope much anyway, but it certainly would be a nice feature of a $1500 camera.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:44 AM   #10

GOOD NEWS on this issue. Just talked to support folks at KM, very friendly & helpful. The reason it won't shoot is the "shutter lock" feature, which is designed to protect the sensor from dust which could enter if you shoot without a lens mounted. But the feature can be turned off! When turned off, you can shoot with T-mount, microscope mount, or nothing mounted at all.

I think I'll turn it back on when not needed though.

Attached is an image of the menu from page 97 of the manual.

Attached Images