Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:10 AM   #1

I am buying the 7D kit, I would like another lens to go with it. I am specifically looking for a good zoom somewhere in the 300mm range. I am not a pro by any means, but I am loking for something that would be good for shooting recreational hockey games, wildlife at the wild animal park, and such. So a good general use zoom.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I do not really know what to look for when it comes to buying lenses.

Thanks

Jamy
Jamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:40 AM   #2

I bought a used Tokina 100-300/4 a few weeks ago and have been pleased. You can usually find them for under $400 used, but sadly they are not made any more.

The Minolta 100-300/ 4.5-5.6 APOis smaller and lighter and is also very well received. New it goes for around the same price as the Tokina.

The Sigma 100-300/4 has also received great ratings but tends to be more expensive (around $800-$900 new).
jcharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:57 AM   #3

I found a deal that inlcudes the 7d, the kit lens, a 4gb microdrive, and a Tamron 70-300 AF lens f/4-5.6 LD. Is the the Tamron any good? The price at $1769 seems to be good for all that is included.

Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2005, 6:02 PM   #4

That lens is Ok, I would just be sure to run the retailer thru the Better Business Bureau befor handing over $$$.

chaznolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:50 AM   #5

The bundle I have been looking at also includes a Konica Minolta Maxxum 28-100mm f3.5-5.6 (D) Autofocus Zoom Lens.

Would this lens be good on the Maxxum 7D, or should I opt for the K&M digital specific lens? Is there enough of a difference to spend the extra money (the same bundle I listed above is $200 more with the digital specific lens) on the digital specific?

Thanks

Jamy
Old May 6, 2005, 8:48 PM   #6

the (D) does not indicate digital specific but distance integration for the flash operation

try the maxxum 75-300 f4.5-5.6 which will give you 105-450 on the 7D $159 new
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 3:03 AM   #7

KM don't do any digital specific lenses yet. They're all 35m lenses.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 10:27 AM   #8

FWIW: I just bought a KM 7D at a small trade show in Regina, at Don's Photo. The Minolta rep spent a long time showing me some of the features of the 7D. When I asked about a microdrive, both the KM rep and the sales woman tried jumping out the window at the same time!! Well, not quite, but they both started shaking their heads at the same time. "Too many reliability issues" they both said. I got a KM AF 28-75 lens with it for starters. So far, I can get the camera turned on. I hope to have a long, fruitful relationship with this camera. It has a lot of very nice features. This is a good forum for learning. Thanks, everybody, for sharing the good and not-so-good. :? Ken Johnston "kjohn"
kjohn is offline   Reply With Quote