Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 2, 2005, 2:09 PM   #1

Hi - my friend has one of the new Minolta 7D cameras. he is on his third body since December. Faults he has had have been: very poor battery life; various lockups necessitating battery removal to 'reboot'; 'syntax error' message on startup - then locks; autofocus not reliable; camera locks up if left powered on - he has to power on and off between shots to avoid this; problems with flash synching; cannot change from large to smaller jpeg without powering off; sometimes cannot change jpeg size no matter what; recently he took a very expensive holiday to South Africa where he was hoping to get some really good images and his camera only worked for the first few days. Is anyone else experiencing problems like this with the new Dynax 7D or is it just him - although he is on the *third* body now! Any comments gratefully received regarding the reliabilty of this camera. Many thanks. Keith (Nottingham, England).
keithbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 3:48 PM   #2

I *just* started having problems with my 7D similar to some of the ones you described. After 3 months and 4 or 5 thousand frames I'm not having issues with the camera locking up when it goes into its sleep mode where I have to shut it off and take the battery out and put it back in, in order to get the camera working again. Never had this sort of problem before but I did have an accident 2 weeks ago where my 7D and attached 600mm were on my tripod when it collapsed so I strongly suspect that as the cause. I have not heard of the other problems you are describing.

Michael
Michael Dossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 7:13 PM   #3

I too have shot ~2000-3000 frames with my D7 with no problem. I do recall someone on this board having problems like what you describe and it was traced to the VC-7D vertical grip. If this grip is in use it may be the culprit.

** Michael- You seem to be handling the tripod collapse quite well, I gasped reading the thread! :shock:
chaznolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 7:18 PM   #4

Thanks guys. He does use the grip - I'll pass along your remarks. I think I would die if my tripod collapsed with a camera and a lens on it! Keith
keithbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 7:44 PM   #5

By the way I believe the grip was replaced and the problem was solved.

Old May 2, 2005, 8:52 PM   #6

chaznolan wrote:
Quote:
I too have shot ~2000-3000 frames with my D7 with no problem. I do recall someone on this board having problems like what you describe and it was traced to the VC-7D vertical grip. If this grip is in use it may be the culprit.

** Michael- You seem to be handling the tripod collapse quite well, I gasped reading the thread! :shock:
I've used the VC-7D from day one, but I'll have to play around with things a little and see if maybe thats it ?

I've had a little time for the tripod collapse to sink in a little. When I saw my 600mm no longer attached to the camera body I knew it was going to be BAD :shock:. Fortunately the only obvious damage besides 3 dings in the wall, was a 12mm extension tube which was completely destroyed and the OS-1100 flash shoe which snapped into two. I've taken a few pictures since the accident (maybe 75 or so?) and just started noticing the problems last weekend. I wasn't sure if it was just my batteries dying and I'm still trying to rule that out.

Michael Dossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:15 PM   #7

Michael,

I think the VC-7D grip problem is affecting Keith's 7D I think Gravity affected yours ......

I feel for you, luckly no glass broke and the 7D case is intact.

Good luck with it!

Charlie