Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 19, 2005, 5:52 AM   #1

I have recently purchased the KM7D

I am using a Sigma 28-300 lense, mainly to shoot aircraft

I am having a few funnies with the Automatic White Balance, and have started to have a play with the Manual settings. I have not found any documentation on how to use the settings (i.e Sun +- settings)

Basically, in Program mode, the pictures I am taking appear to be dark. These are landing aircraft shots, with cloud.

Can anybody recommend the best approach to taking landing shots of aircraft, which white balance settings to use, or which metering settings to use

Rick:?
RickSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2005, 2:50 PM   #2

RickSavage wrote:
Quote:
I have recently purchased the KM7D

I am using a Sigma 28-300 lense, mainly to shoot aircraft

I am having a few funnies with the Automatic White Balance, and have started to have a play with the Manual settings. I have not found any documentation on how to use the settings (i.e Sun +- settings)

Basically, in Program mode, the pictures I am taking appear to be dark. These are landing aircraft shots, with cloud.

Can anybody recommend the best approach to taking landing shots of aircraft, which white balance settings to use, or which metering settings to use

Rick:?
I am not sure you are having WB problems, as much as simple underexposure. If you are taking pictures of the airplane with white clouds behind it, the camera is going to want to make the clouds come out 18% gray, not white.
You can either set the camera on spot metering, and meter on the plane at all times, or just set the exposure comp to +1 or so (try and see).
I shot with the 7D in snow for a long time(brighter than clouds, but still white) and the exposure was alway off unless the exposure comp was changed.
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 7:39 PM   #3

white balance should be set to match the light;

in sunlight set for sunlight, when cloudy set for cloudy, etc.

to set actual color temperature requires expensive color metering gear

i also own a 7D and find the auto setting to be excellent

i think you are having an exposure issue

if the conditions that you are shooting in produce consistently dark images, set your exposure comp to +1 or +1.5

shooting against the sky generally will give an underexposed subject in P mode

you can try to spot meter, or take a manual reading from the underside of a LARGE plane and set manually for subsequent shots
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 5:14 AM   #4

Will try the exposure compensation, and leave on Auto White Balance

Upgraded my Dynax 7D to latest firmware, which I was not aware of until reading the forum - cheers guys. Hope I get the same speed increases (I was seeing some delay whilst taking some aircraft landing shots)

On the manual white balance, what does each shift of +1 or -1 do. For example, if it is very sunny, are you supposed to add a couple. What does "-" do for sunny? If it is not sunny, then it is cloudy, so you would use that?

Thanks again guys - off to Asia and Japan tomorrow....:G

Rick

RickSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 8:33 PM   #5

In my opinion you shoud set the contrast first - to minimum (-2). Difference between sky (or clouds) and bottom of the airplane (british airways - for example) is too big. Second - set the light mettering for the aircraft, not for sky, to have the best ressults with aircraft (don't care about the sky). I think, that WB is not so important for really good picture in this case. It can be more or less cloudy and 7D can do it very good in AWB. Most importantis contrast.

I've done some pictures at Heathrow last time, I've learn very much about this camera then, and I think - it's really good camera, but we have to try and try. It's too much to set correctly.

Have a good pictures and I'm sorry for my poor english, I'm from Poland.
adamo.p is offline   Reply With Quote