Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 21, 2005, 9:40 PM   #1

:?I would like to pick up an extra battery (NP-400) for my Maxxum 7D. I saw an article somewhere which questioned use of generic batteries in the 7D. It said something to the effect there is a special "something" in genuine batteries that communicates with the camera. Is this fact or fiction? :-?

I want a back up battery, but do not want to spend more than I have to either!

Can anyone shed more light on this subject? :?
42stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 11:07 PM   #2

it is a 'rate of discharge versus heat generated' issue

ALSO A WARRANTY ISSUE IF IT OVERHEATS OR LEAKS

there is no 'communication'

why risk a $1500 camera to save $20 ?
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:24 PM   #3

search on ebay... i found a genuine minolta battery for 7D at $24.99 include shipping from hong kong..
carlo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:30 PM   #4

bernabeu: Good thought!! I just bought a Maxxum 7D and bought a spare battery with it. I was fortunate and bought one that someone had used for a very short time on loan (battery, that is) for a good discount. Yes, I find it "truly amazing" to watch someone pull up in a $40,000 SUV and try to chisel on a $25 fishing reel (or whatever).:?:
kjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:35 PM   #5

Batteries are one area you cannot afford to skimp on. Battery from Hong Kong mihgt be good, might not. Warranty concerns suggest you use Minolta brand only. Not worth saving money on off brand, or even Minolta brand cheapies. Get the real deal, pay the full price. Save money elsewhere.

You also don't want to find yourself out and about and unable to take pics because your inexpensive battery died on you.
Jacqueaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:49 PM   #6

I've bought batteries for the Canon Digital Elph from SterlingTek, and found they lasted longer and no problems. So I bought two for my 7D last week but haven't used them yet. The only scary issue would be the possibility of leakage. And if that happened, I'd be sending a very nasty letter to SterlingTek!!! Personally, I doubt if it's at all likely.
jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 1:49 PM   #7

42stew wrote:
Quote:
:? I would like to pick up an extra battery (NP-400) for my Maxxum 7D. I saw an article somewhere which questioned use of generic batteries in the 7D. It said something to the effect there is a special "something" in genuine batteries that communicates with the camera. Is this fact or fiction? :-?
There are 3 main categories of batteries.
1. Camera Manufacturer's - expensive, guaranteed to work.
2. 3rd party - cheaper, almost certain to work. Often come with a guarantee from the maker. Often come in higher capacities as battery technology improves.
3. Counterfeit (non-manufacturer batteries in a copy of the manufacturer case, complete with logo, etc.) - cheaper, may fail and take the camera with it (if they don't care that they are committing several crimes, including some that could put them in prison for years, why would they care about the customer's equipment - they make more ill-gotten gains by using the cheapest materials that will last until they disappear.)

Many camera manuals warn about counterfeit batteries (#3 above). Some have statements that using non-manufacturer batteries may void the warranty (key word is may - under US law, it only voids the warranty if the battery caused the damage, although it is best to send the camera for repair with a manufacturer's battery if any, to avoid them claiming the battery did the damage.)
abredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 2:08 PM   #8
Rui

Can anyone recomend a decent 3rd party battery to buy? (please include a link where to purchase also)

I did a search on ebay, and there's a lot of so called 'genuine' minolta batteries for $9.99USD - i'm guessing these are the conterfeit ones that we should be warry of?
Rui is offline   Reply With Quote