Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 24, 2005, 4:06 AM   #1

I am new at this site. I think I posted these question in the wrong forum first.

Now I believe I am where I should be.

I have two questions:

1)Can I use my Minolta lenses Zoom xi AF 20-80 and AF 80-200 with the new digital SRL Maxxum 7D or Dynax 7D

2) What is the difference between the Dynax 7D (Europe) and Maxxum 7D (USA). Why two models or names ?

Roger
Ropipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2005, 5:19 AM   #2

:flame:I don't know the difference other than the names, but your autofocus lenses will work on the 7D.

EXUZ2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 6:51 AM   #3

After further research it seems mainly a marketing gadget (changing the names).

And yes it does semms that the Maxxum AF lenses are O.K.

Thnak you

Roger:-)
Old May 24, 2005, 6:47 PM   #4

If you purchase from a reputable dealer with the USA warranty you should receive a Maxxum 7D. Grey market imports are generally Dynax 7D. however, you may get either one as a USA wattanty depending upon stock and availability. THEY ARE THE SAME, just make certain you have the USA warranty if purchased for use in the USA!

All Maxxum lenses are compatible with the 7D - JUST REMEMBER THE 1.5x multiplier!

(a 50mm f1.7 becomes a 75mm f1.7, a 100-200 f4.5 -> 150-300 f4.5)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 1:15 AM   #5

Thank you.

Generally I buy in the USA as we travel a lot over there. But logic and for what I read in this forum, I came to the conclusion that an digital SLR is not just another photo camera but has lot of technic involved in it. So the more there is technic in it the more the chance to have a failure increases. So I better have an EU warranty to avoid any conflict. Buying in EU is much more expensive than in the USA but I don't want to risk the hasle to exercise a warranty.

Roger :-)
Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:38 PM   #6

Bernabue;

The people at minolta (In Mawah N.J.) told me that for warranty purposes they
recognize purchases In UK and the rest of the common market.
I assume then that grey market refers to purchases done in Hong-Kong, and other markets in which the cameras are sold to dealers at great discount.

Yours dov z
dov z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:45 AM   #7

Thank you for your reply.

I just read it as we came back from 6 weeks holiday.

I still have 6 months to think where I will buy the Minolta.

Roger
Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:39 PM   #8

dov z wrote:
Quote:
The people at minolta (In Mawah N.J.) told me that for warranty purposes they
recognize purchases In UK and the rest of the common market.
I assume then that grey market refers to purchases done in Hong-Kong, and other markets in which the cameras are sold to dealers at great discount.
A gray market camera is a camera sold outside the region it was made for - for example, a camera made for the european market bought new from a store in the US, or a camera made for the US market bought new from a store in the US. These cameras were imported or redirected by a non-licensed importer (not black market, as the redirection or importation is not illegal, but gray market, as it falls into a 'gray area' of the law).

A camera made for europe and bought in europe, or made for the US and bought in the US is a legitimate purchase and is fully covered by warranty anywhere in the world.
abredon is offline   Reply With Quote