Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:28 AM   #1

If my camera has not been used for more than a week, when I try to review past photos, after viewing the first photo, the camera locks up. When I turn the camera to the off position, the photo still remains on the screen. Only solution to date is to remove the battery. Once I reinsert the battery, the problem does not recur, nor does it everhappen when camera is used more frequently. I've read other complaints regarding lock ups happening for other reasons. Does anyone know if this is a firmware problem?
Marty387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:51 PM   #2

Haven't heard about it. I presume you've updated the firmware?
jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:24 AM   #3

Yes, I downloaded the new firmware as soon as it became available. Another suggestion was to reformat the Compact Flash card, which I did. So far I haven't had the lock up happen again, but as I orginally stated, it only happened when I hadn't used my camera in over a week. I'll know for sure this weekend when I plan on taking pictures of the Macy's 4th of July fireworks.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:31 PM   #4

I have had my Maxxum 7D for about a month. When I first got it, the camera locked up twice. I found this forum and did what it instructed. I formatted the memory card, the camera had the newest firm ware already installed. After formatting the card the camera did lock up at all. At least until now. I can take maybe 2 to 3 pics and than it locks. I have since reformatted the card, but still it locks up. The camera is almost unusable. Any ideas? I would sure like some advice.:sad:
FatYellerDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:27 AM   #5
Administrator

What kind of CompactFlash card are you using?

You may want to try a different brand.Some users have reported problems with Kingston Elite Pro cards. If you're trying to use a Magicstor microdrive, it would also be suspect (known to be unreliable insome cameras, perhaps due to power draw).

Another cause of lockups that I've seen reported is the vertical grip. If you've got one, I'd remove it and see if the problem goes away.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:25 AM   #6

I am using a Lexar Professional Series 80X WA CompactFlash 2GB and no grip.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:36 AM   #7
Administrator

If you've got a different CompactFlash card, you may want to give it a try.

Yours may be defective or have a compatibilty problem. Just because one Lexar 80x card works, doesn't mean another will.

Manufacturers make frequent changes to the card components and firmware. For example, Lexar recalled some of these cards because of a problem with Canon DSLR models.

I have not seen any Lexar specific issues with the 7D yet. But, you may want to check the edge stamp on your card and compare it to the ones listed in this Lexar advisory:

http://www.lexar.com/support/cust_advisory.html

It may be a camera problem, but I'd rule out the card first by tryinga different one if you have access to one.

If you're not using the latest firmware, KM made some significant changes to the way the 7D interfaces to media (with a dramatic increase in performance writing to Compactflash cards).

But, I'd probably identify any compatibility problems the card might havefirst (you don't want to turn your camera into a paperweight if it has errors reading from a "flaky" card during the firmware update process, even if the firmware update fixes any compatibility problem). I'd do the update from a card that is known to be working correctly in it. Here is a forum post I made with links to the firmware update for your 7D:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:47 PM   #8

Thanks JimC,

I check my card and it was one of the recalls. I filled out the form and I am waiting on an E-mail with return instructions from Lexar. I did go and buy a second compact flash card at my local Wal-Mart. It is an ordinary Kodak 1 gb flash card. The camera still is locking up. I did reinstall the last update again and it help a little. The camera doesn't seem to lock up as much. I can at least take a dozen pictures before it locks up. I don't think the repairs on the Lexar card are going to help after trying the second card I bought. I will probably have to send the camera in for repairs. I am really disappointed with this camera. I am scared that even if KM fixes the camera that it might still give me problems after reading this forum. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

I had intended to start buying some accessories for the camera. Now I am a little gun shy about putting a lot of money in to this camera for fear of ending up with a lemon and a pile of high cost accessories that I can't use. When I get it back from KM it will take a long time before I feel comfortable spending money on parts and accessories for it.:sad:

Thanks for your help.

Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:37 AM   #9
Administrator

I'd still rule out things like the battery (including contacts) and lens if you have access to different ones before sending it in. Sometimes a bad connnection at a lens mount, defective battery, or a bit of oxdidationon acontact can cause odd camera behavior.

Old Oct 17, 2005, 2:18 PM   #10

Turns out in my case, after returning my 7D to Konica Minolta Service Center a second time, that it was a faulty sensor connection which informs the camera that the lens is properly in place. The screen would freeze in some cases, and in others the 7D wouldn't turn on. According to the tech staff, the glue had loosened around the camera lens frame on the 7D,and as a result, the sensor kept shifting up and down. When the lens sensor was in the right place, the camera would turn on, when it wasn't was when my problems began. Bet this is a first, but they found the problem and the camera was returned to me last week. So far, so good.