Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:56 PM   #1

Hello,

I have a Minolta A1 but decided to bite the bullet and purchase a 7D after much deliberation.

I take pictures of wildlife ( mostly birds) and lookign for a telephoto lens i came across this particular lens from Sigma.After reading a lto of reviews it looks like it is a good choice for the money(especially compared with another Sigma 170-500 mm).

I would like to get your impression on this combination.I do not own a 7D yet,i don't know how is the noise on this camera.I find the noise on A1 ( at 100 ISO) to be unacceptable to me,but again,i'm a freak :-)

This is just a hobby for me,i am not making any money out of it.I know there are better lenses,but they are not within my budget.Anybody can tell me why this lens might NOT what i'm looking for ?

Thank You.
Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:28 AM   #2

The only comment I'd make, having not used the lens, is thata range of 50-500mm seems a bit pointless. This is a very big and hevay lens so I'd guess you're not going to use the shorter focal lengths much, if at all. Also the 10X zoom is going to compromise the optical design more than if it were a lower zoom ratio. Have you considered the Tamron 200-500? This is smaller and lighter andalso gets good reviews.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:34 AM   #3

Hello Technophile,

No,i didn't know about the Tamron one.I've read a lot of reviews about this Sigma lens and people seem happy with it,but you make a very good point.I will not be using the short focal lenght.I have another Minolta 50 mm lens for that purpose anyway.Sigma has another 170-500mm lens,but that one seems to fall short of expectations according to other people's opinions.( and the price difference is not that much to make me buy the cheapest one).I'll do my homework on the Tamron :-)

But how is Tamron quality wise compared with Sigma ?

Thank You.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:07 PM   #4
NHL

Abyss wrote:
Quote:
The Sigma has the ultrasonic drive, but I don't know if this comes with the Minolta
IMO this HSM mechanism is quite desirable, but if it's not available for the 7D then the Tamron could be a better choice because of the better weight...

FYI - http://www.photo.net/equipment/tamron/200_500_Di/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:43 PM   #5

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Abyss wrote:
Quote:
The Sigma has the ultrasonic drive, but I don't know if this comes with the Minolta
IMO this HSM mechanism is quite desirable, but if it's not available for the 7D then the Tamron could be a better choice because of the better weight...

FYI - http://www.photo.net/equipment/tamron/200_500_Di/

Sigma HSM is for Canon only...
gareth12468 is offline   Reply With Quote