Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 24, 2005, 1:40 AM   #1

I recently bought a 7D and was a bit overwhelmed :?by all the settings, adjustments and gizmos. The manual that comes with the camera doesn't tell you much.:blah: I ordered the Magic Lantern book from Amazon. WOW:idea: Was that a good move. The author was kind enough to remember that not all people purchasing this camera are old hands at f-stops, focal length, and so on. As I laid on the couch at my cabin, reading the Lantern manual and taking pictures of the ceiling, etc., the lights were coming on!! So much of what I never could quite get a grip on came clear. The 7D is my first DSLR. So far, I love it. The ability to use it as a point and shoot and gradually ease into some heavier stuff has suited me well. The Lantern manual has made things much more enjoyable. It dispells the idea that "common folk" shouldn't be allowed to own cameras like the 7D.
Has anyone had experience with the CF-SD adapter?? kjohn
kjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2005, 9:18 AM   #2

No experience with the CF/SD adapter yet. But I am responding to say I enjoyed your comments on the DSLR. Even advance enthusiates or pro's need a refresher course once in awhile. I know everytime I read my manual, I come across a feature of the camera I forgot about, and then I'm anxious to try it out. Zone matching instead of ISO is just one example.

I was thinking about getting that book, and now I know I will.

Thanks,
Ed
1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 2:53 PM   #3

I ordered the Magic Lantern book after several friends mentioned/showed it to me. It makes "learning" the 7D fun. Not a search for the answer mission.

My good friend who is a professioanl photographer also commented it is a good review book to "refresh" the mind on features of the camera from time to time.

42stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:33 PM   #4

Magic Lantern books (for any camera you own) are one of the best investments you can make!
Old Jul 30, 2005, 5:47 PM   #5

It is my understanding and I too purchased this book that it has many errors in it.
digitalshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 6:13 PM   #6

If there are errors in the Magic Lantern book, let's hear about them. Maybe I'm holding the camera facing the wrong way!!:? Seriously, please share what you know about the errors.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:56 PM   #7

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13087964

digitalshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:18 PM   #8

I mudddled through the postings regarding the errors in the Magic Lantern manual, and am not a whole lot wiser than before. I still appreciate the way the author has written the book. He has cut the gibberish and laid it out in a very reasonable fashion. It is one of very, very few "manuals" that I have enjoyed reading.