Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 15, 2005, 1:50 AM   #1

I've been looking at getting a dSLR for a couple of months now, and I had it narrowed down to the Rebel XT or the Pentax. I don't like the ergonomics on the Rebel XT, but I love the specs and IS lens. I love the ergonomics on the Pentax, but I hear it's not so sharp in JPEG mode. I was holding out until I heard from KM, and now i have!The 5D looks to be a real winner. The built in anti-shake sounds fantastic. It looks like they designed the camera well to fit into the hands, and lens choice seems good. I was happy to see it use compact flash, but¬*disappointed¬*tahttha is doesn't have an LCD status screen.So, at $900 with a lens (I hope they sell it with out for less), it seems to be a good price.My question now: has anyone used the Sigma 28-300 lens? Any good for a general walk-about lens?Thanks,Allan
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:10 AM   #2

From the specs listed I will be very curious to see how this camera compares to the Canon and Nikon competition. I'm very new to photography but I'm already hounding my wife to let me upgrade the point and shoot toa DSLR. Since I have no lenses or anything I'm open to any camera line. This one with the antishake looks like it might be the entry level DSLR to beat of the image quality is there. If it's close to the 7D I think Konica will have a winner.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 9:49 AM   #3

Four places (Including Ritz Camera) have the body for sale at $799 (US). I've been holding out, because Canon just came out with the 350D (Rebel XT) and I wanted to see what the other makers would come out with. I've been a Minolta Film User for many years, and am looking hard now at the 5D. I held the 7D, but thought the camera was too busy and heavy, while the 5D is lighter and cleaner. My last SLR I bought was a 7000i back in November 1989 while in Japan. Unfortuneatly, the lenses I have (28-70 AF from Minolta, Sigma 28-300) are not what I need for what I'm doing now. (I've been using a Nikon Coolpix 2500 for the past 2 yrs)
ww2buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 3:32 PM   #4

the 7D is a virtually undestructable magnesium alloy tank

i literally clean the ccd with a q-tip moistened with methanol

i wade into shallow surf with a 80-200 f2.8 G mounted (for over 1 year) with no ill effects

it is sealed virtually vapor tight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you find the controls 'busy' put it on full auto and it becomes a point and shoot
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 9:31 PM   #5

Yes bernabeu, but how do you make the 7D lighter? :-)
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 6:21 AM   #6

you don't

the weight is a MAJOR ADVANTAGE

(about half the weight of my main lens)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 8:42 PM   #7

bernabeu wrote:¬*Firstly how weather resistant is the &d? I had thought with its extra knobs, it would be less weather proof than the 5D.Also you say put in on full auto. I like the fact that the 5D has some mode settings which the 7D does not. Surely for enexperienced photographers the auto mode on the 7D is not as usefull as the several scene modes which the 5D has? Also I've looked at the 7D's body, it has plastic on the outside at least doesn't it?
Quote:
¬*the 7D is a virtually undestructable magnesium alloy tank

i literally clean the ccd with a q-tip moistened with methanol

i wade into shallow surf with a 80-200 f2.8 G mounted (for over 1 year) with no ill effects

it is sealed virtually vapor tight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you find the controls 'busy' put it on full auto and it becomes a point and shoot
Melbourne Park is offline   Reply With Quote