Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 25, 2005, 4:42 PM   #11
Administrator

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
i will bow to your professional expertise, but, i'm darned if i can see a preflash when using ADI
No professional expertise here. I don't even own this camera (yet). ;-)

You may be right. I'm only telling you what I was told (verbatim in the quote I posted above). :-)

I just sentyou a PM that shows the source(s) of this info when I inquired about it. Another 7D owner confirmed the behavior. But, I won't rule out that they are mistaken.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 7:21 AM   #12

Hi Jim,

I just completed a 1/2 hour test of my KM 7D and 5600HS(D) flash.

You are correct, it always has a preflash except when in full manual mode.

HOWEVER, the 5600HS preflash is so short, so 'light', AND SO CLOSELY TIMED to the main flash that it is barely discernable! The onboard flash (preflash) IS noticeable but close enought that the chance of catching a flash caused blink is virtually nil.

Do not let the flash concerns dissuade you from the 7D and 5600HS, this is the best gear I have ever owned (including a Nikon Fotomic T) !

lol, john
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:43 AM   #13

Just to put my two cents in...

I shot a wedding on the 9th, having JUST bought the 5600 with only a week to learn how to use it. I don't yet have a bracket, so the flash was on the camera for all except the portraits. I got excellent results, with a very small percentage of unacceptable shots, much smaller percentagethan I ever achieved with film.

For the portraits, I made a box diffuser from foam core and some t-shirt fabric. The 5600 was thus the main source and provided nice illumination, triggered by the on-camera flash. A second (borrowed) 5600, plus an old dumb Vivitar unit were pointed at the white ceiling for fill. The Vivitar was triggered by a pc cord;the 2nd 5600 by wireless. No time to set up background or hair lights, but window light helped with that. A makeshift background cloth completed the setup.

For such an amateurish setup, I was very impressed with the results! The shoot was a freebie as a gift to the bride, and I think she's getting quality pix.

NOTE: You probably all know that you can't trigger a dumb flash with a photocell slave adaptor, because the pre-flash will trigger it with the shutter still closed.
jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:45 AM   #14
Administrator

jimjomac wrote:
Quote:
NOTE: You probably all know that you can't trigger a dumb flash with a photocell slave adaptor, because the pre-flash will trigger it with the shutter still closed.
Well, there are a number of slave triggers out now designed for digital (they ignore the preflash). Here is one example:

Wein Peanut Slave for Digital

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote