Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:50 PM   #11

The LCD comes with a thin blue plastic sheet over it (kind of like a peice of tape), I haven't even taken it off. I really don't think the big peice of plastic on those d70s is completely necessary.

Try visiting your local camera store to look for a protector thats clear if you don't like blue, they probably have something.
LesGirrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 5:27 PM   #12

The weight is somewhat more than my old 5i (no idea compared to 5D), but it also comes with a very nice, very wide neckstrap. I haven't noticed it getting overly heavy yet, and the lens will make a huge impact on weight too. I usually keep a hand on it since it'll get to swinging around anyways.

The LCD is packaged with a blue film over it, and it also comes with a replaceable clear guard. My guard has intercepted a few good scratches so far so its definitely worth having, and it also keeps my nose off of the screen when looking through the eyepiece.

Chanler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:51 PM   #13

The 7D comes with a hard plastic LCD guard.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 9:19 AM   #14

Why can't whatever is covering the 5D's senor be cleaned with methanol?

While we're at it, whats up with the over-heating of the 7D? Was it a message followed by a shutdown of the camera, or? Has that been prevalent? Is there a software fix for the problem?
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:53 AM   #15
Administrator

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
Why can't whatever is covering the 5D's senor be cleaned with methanol?

While we're at it, whats up with the over-heating of the 7D? Was it a message followed by a shutdown of the camera, or? Has that been prevalent? Is there a software fix for the problem?
I don't understand your questions... Are you talking about cleaning the CCD when you say sensor (the previous posts were discussing covers to protect the LCD display)?

Also, I'm confused by the overheating question (I don't see anything in this thread about overheating). This is not a problem that I've seen reported (or if so, it was probably sounusual that I overlooked it as being a rare defect).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:18 PM   #16

StevenBVT asked for a feature comparison and some operational differences of the 5 and 7Ds. It was stated the 7Ds sensor could be cleaned with methanol, implying that the 5D couldn't. No one reputed that. Wouldn't it be a plus if the 5D was easier to maintain?

LCD coverings? There are plenty of protevtive film coverings available. They're cheap too.

Overheating
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

also overheating
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

Thus the question. Is this a real concern? Has it been resolved in the 7D? Its a feature I wouldn't think Steveen or I would care to encounter.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:33 PM   #17
Administrator

Well, I'm not sure I'd use a Q-Tip and methanol. But, the ease of cleaning either camera's sensor should be the same.

The confusion was over the Mirror Lockup Feature (missing from the 5D feature list, but a user confirmed the feature was there).

Both cameras have it for cleaning purposes, and both cameras have it for taking photos (implemented via a self timer). Evenpopular DSLR cameras without Mirror Lockup to reduce vibration for taking slower shutter speed photos (for example, the Nikon D70), have a way to lock it up for cleaning purposes.

As for the overheating errors... I doubt that is something you'd need to worry about. Even searching through the larger forums, I see very few cases reported (and one was after someone left their camera in a hot automobile). He hasn't seen the error since then. So, it may have been a QC issue impacting a small number of cameras for those reporting it in conditions that should not have warranted it.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 1:52 PM   #18

Got my 7D in May, had it two weeks, was taking photos at a local camera shop, took about 8, got the overheating message, had to remove battery. Problem has not recurred, over 6000 photos later.
Jacqueaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 7:41 AM   #19

jimc,

when iposted to clean the ccd with a 'q-tip' moistened with methanol i assumed that everyone would realize i was referring to a lint free polyester 'medical'/electronic gradeswab

sorry if i misled anyone

john
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:18 AM   #20
Administrator

When I saw you use the word Q-tip, I kept thinking of the cotton fibers sticking out, and wondered if you knew something that everyone was overlooking.

I kept thinking "no, that can't be".

I missed the word poly, and I guess you were using the term Q-Tip generically to describe the concept.

Thanks for the clarification (so users will know not to try it with Q-tip brand cotton swapsdesignedto helpear wax). :-)