Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 1, 2005, 12:38 PM   #21

With the new rebate out now, the 7D is currently approximately the same price as the 5D. For a P&Ser looking to make the transition to DSLR is their any reason the 5D would be the better choice?
JonnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 2:04 PM   #22
Administrator

JonnyG wrote:
Quote:
With the new rebate out now, the 7D is currently approximately the same price as the 5D. For a P&Ser looking to make the transition to DSLR is their any reason the 5D would be the better choice?
It's smaller and lighter.

I wish they would have kept the same features and buffer size. However, I still can't make up my mind between these two cameras (nothing to do with price). I'm waiting to get my hands on a 5D before deciding.

With a small and bright prime like the Minolta 28mm f/2 or 35mm f/2,and a small and light DSLR with Antishake like the 5D, you'd have a terrific little package for going out to restaurants and clubs with live music (something my wife and I enjoy), without the bulk and weight of a larger solution.

A smaller package is also less conspicuous (not as likely to be objected to when you bring a camera along), and less intimidating to those you're taking photos of (especially if you're not using a flash).

It's always been my experience that the larger and heavier the camera, the more likely it's going to be left at home. ;-)

Sure, a larger camera has it's benefits, too. A deeper grip feels better, you've got better balance for lenses (especially for heaviier lenses) and your external flash isn't going to be as "top heavy" if you use the hotshoe. It's also easier to put a better viewfinder into a larger body.

There are pros and cons to both solutions. Personally, give me a 5D with the flash sync port of the 7D, coupled with the 7D's larger buffer size, charge me the same price, and I'd be set. :=)

The adapter for the 5D's hotshoe (to give it a sync port), is going to make them close to the sameprice after the new 7D rebate (and I still wouldn't have the 7D's larger buffer).

Decisions, Decisions.

I'll let you guys know when I make upmy mind (after I get my hands on a 5D to see how it feels before deciding).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:13 PM   #23

Like everyone else I am also trying to choose between the 7D and the 5D. with the new $200 rbate. The price is now $1000 for the 7D with the 28-100 kit lens. Do you think at that price, the 7D provides better value?
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:20 PM   #24
Administrator

Should you buy the full size car or the compact if the price is close to the same?

Perhaps the full size car has some things the compact doesn't, too (higher performance in some cases,more roomfor passengers and cargo, etc.).

Is the desktop a better value compared to a laptop if the desktop comes with more video memory and moresystem RAM for the same price?

Yes, that's an extreme analogy but I think you get the drift.

Sometimes you pay as much ormore for a smaller package, even if it is lacking some things compared to a larger one.

Is one a better value compared to the other? You'll have to answer that one for yourself.

Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:48 PM   #25

Where's the $200 rebate?
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 12:30 AM   #26
Administrator

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
Where's the $200 rebate?
Rebates and Promotions

Direct Link to $200 rebate form (.pdf)

Old Sep 5, 2005, 11:09 AM   #27

Argh, the decision is tough. If the 5D had the buffer and screen of the 7D I'd be all over it.

I'm literally afraid of the 7D, I held one at Fry's over the weekend. It feels great, but I'm afraid of all the controls. I know that the controls are one of the advantages of the 7D. But being a non-photographer the learning curve seems much higher.
JonnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:17 AM   #28

Perhaps not a major consideration, but the size of the 7D has caused me some problems while carrying the camera around on vacation. I spent a month hiking throughout the Canadian Rockies, and found that the camera was difficult to get into and out of my camera bag from time to time. With the bag strapped around my waist (I tried a backpack, but it is sucha hassle taking it off and on to get equipment). Anyway, with the bag strapped to my waist, it constrains the amount of space I can use in the bag, and it was sometimes difficult to get the camera to fit in its slot without have to take the bag off first. When just carrying the bag over my shoulder or in my hand, there were no problems.

A minor concern, perhaps, but with the 5D being smaller, it will likely be easier to carry around, especially if you do any strenous hiking and the like.
Jacqueaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:15 AM   #29

I haven't seen mentioned in this thread that the 'kit' lenses are not the same for the 7D and 5D. I'm agonizing over this purchase and plan to use a couple old Maxxum 3000 lenses I already have (35-80 f3.5and 70-200 f4). I need a faster and wider lens. The 5D comes with the 18-70, 7D has 28-100. Neither are very fast but the 18-70 is wide enough. Too bad it comes with the "wrong" camera

I've often regretted NOT buying the top-of-the-line offering in the past, and with the rebate bringing the 7D so near to the 5D price it makes sense to reach a little farther & get the 7D. So now I'm looking at ordering the 7D body & a separate lens...and the price just keeps climbing.

Mark

Minolta XE5, X700, Maxxum 3000i and next...
guy48065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 3:00 PM   #30

the lenses you have are just fine! they are superb with the APS-C size sensor (only shooting through the sweet spot)

GO FOR THE 7D, worry about glass later

the 18-70 is a 'digital' lens designed for the APS-C sensor and will not be useable with the (soon to be) 9D or a film maxxum http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05...kmdtlenses.asp

(JimC; please correct me if I'm wrong)

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote