Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 5, 2005, 6:05 PM   #1

I am an amateur photographer who was looking into going from a Minolta film SLR to a KM 7D (so I wouldn't have to replace my 5 lenses). With the announcement of the 5D, with its lighter weight and lighter price tag, I was wondering if that might be the better one for me.

Has anyone compiled a comparison between the 7D and 5D as far as features? Are there any features on the 7D that are not on the 5D that warrant spending the extra money?

Thanks!
StevenBVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2005, 9:12 PM   #2
Administrator

Steven:

There are a few lists floating around comparing the two cameras. Here is one:

http://www.vividoptic.com/Info/KM5DvsKM7D.htm

Some people commenting on the two models prefer the control layout of the 7D (fewer external controls with the 5D).

Another big difference between them is the buffer size. With the 7D, you can take 9 photos in raw mode at approx. 3 frames per second before the camera needs to slow down (because the internal buffer fills up).

With the 5D, this buffer is only 3 frames shooting in raw (versus 9 frames with the 7D).

Of course, many photographers may not need the extra buffer space.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 3:29 PM   #3

1) magnesium alloy versus plastic

2) ability to clean the ccd with a poly q-tip and methanol

3) 205k vs. 115k lcd

4) weight (more is better)

5) external KNOB and BUTTON controls

(you get what you pay for)

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 3:39 PM   #4
Administrator

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
1) magnesium alloy versus plastic

2) ability to clean the ccd with a poly q-tip and methanol

3) 205k vs. 115k lcd

4) weight (more is better)

5) mirror L/U via self timer

6) external KNOB and BUTTON controls

(you get what you pay for)

The 5D has Mirror Lockup, and it works the same way as in the 7D (MLU via 2 second self timer). This specific question was asked of someone that borrowed a 5D from KM Thailand for a review there, and he confirmed it worked this way.

Apparently, they just forgot to put it in the spec sheets.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 8:27 PM   #5

i stand corrected but add .93 vs. .81 viewfinder
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:15 PM   #6

Thank you all for the relies thus far.... still trying to make up my mind (and budget the money) but leaning toward the 7D.
StevenBVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 7:26 AM   #7

Having had the pleasure of using the 7D, I found it to be the closest thing to the feel & usabaility of a professional 35mm SLR body. I've owned & used a Canon DSLR prior to trying the 7D, but Minolta has always made excellent 35mm bodies and the 7D was so similar that(if the LCD screen in the back wasn't there) you would have had a hard time distinguishing it as a digital camea. Having the brightest viewfinder was a huge plus!
Old Aug 10, 2005, 3:06 PM   #8

so, how loud is the shutter on the 7d compared to the canon 20d?

thanks.
sajdahgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 6:39 PM   #9

Never heard them in the same room at the same time...sorry. Also, the Canon DSLR I owned wasn't the 20D anyway.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 6:33 PM   #10

Please allow a slightly different question:

At what point does the additional weight of the 7D (vs 5D) start to wear you out as you carry it all day on your neck/shoulder...I know we are all different, but many folks, esp youenthusiasts,have carried numerous cameras over the years, and their weights differed by a few (or not so few) ounces here or there...as your day progressed, were you fatigued by the cameras that weighed "only" 4-8 ounces (which is 1/4 to 1/2 pound) more by the end of the day, or was there no difference between the lighter and heavier cameras???

I have seen little plastic guards that Nikon D70 places over the LCD to protect it...seems brilliant to me...what have you folks done to protect your LCDs where the maker does not offer this little option, as I can see the LCD scratching beyong repair as the camera swings around my chest while hanging from my neck...who wants to junk a camera because of a ruined LCD, yet it seems to be a weak point on dSLRs...what am I missing???...thanks...
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote