Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:36 PM   #1
Administrator

David Coffin has added support for the new Maxxum/Dynax 5D to dcraw.c v7.48.

http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

For those of you that are not familiar with dcraw.c, it's a raw conversion program written in C. Many commercial products use David's code (or portions of it) for raw file conversion.

Thanks to Tom (a.k.a. minman) for supplying the test files (shot with a camera borrowed from KM in Thailand).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:07 PM   #2

JimC and Kalypso. I noticed you guys know a lot about the 7D. What do you think about the image quality comparison of the 7d vs the D70/D50? Both use the Sony sensor but the Nikon uses less NR giving more detail at high ISO. I would love the 5D with AS but wonder if it may give away some in image quality. Any thoughts?
Coolmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:54 AM   #3

supposedly, according to the site "lets go digital", the 5d uses a primary color filter in its ccd, while the 7d uses a rgb color filter in its ccd.

i have no idea what the diference is, or whether that will decrease its image quality.
sajdahgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:14 PM   #4
Administrator

Coolmax wrote:
Quote:
JimC and Kalypso. I noticed you guys know a lot about the 7D. What do you think about the image quality comparison of the 7d vs the D70/D50?
Kalypso has used the 7D more. So, perhaps he can comment.

From image comparisons I've seen,I doubt there is a lot of difference. The D70 is using a weaker anti-aliasing filter compared to the others. So, it theoritically should have slightly sharper images (at the expense of increased Moire).

But, the image tests I've seen in controlled conditions show that the 7D is pretty darn close, despite it's stronger anti-aliasing filter. In real world use, I don't think you'd see any advantage to one over the other from a sensor perspective.

As to the D50, it does appear to have a tendency to overexpose more images compared to the others (more blown highlights, etc.). I suspect Nikon probably did this on purpose, so that the images require less Post Processing (although this could be the result of it's new metering system, too).

Whereas, the 7D's metering seems to be geared towards preserving highlight detail. As a result, it may lean towards underexposure in more conditions.

Of course, you can always use Exposure Compensation (with any of these cameras) to tweak exposure more to your liking.

Quote:
Both use the Sony sensor but the Nikon uses less NR giving more detail at high ISO. I would love the 5D with AS but wonder if it may give away some in image quality. Any thoughts?
Well, how often are you going to be shooting at ISO 1600 - 3200? ;-) The images look fine at higher ISO speeds from what I've seen at typical viewing sizes. If I was shooting a subject that I planned to make extremely large prints from, it would more likely be in conditions where I was using lower ISO speeds. Also, you can bypass any in camera processing by shooting in RAW.

Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:19 PM   #5
Administrator

sajdahgraphics wrote:
Quote:
supposedly, according to the site "lets go digital", the 5d uses a primary color filter in its ccd, while the 7d uses a rgb color filter in its ccd.

i have no idea what the diference is, or whether that will decrease its image quality.
They both use a GRGB (Green, Red, Green, Blue) color filter array. This is sometimes referred to as a primary color filter.

I checked the source code for the demosaic algorithms in dcraw.c to make sure (images from both cameras are both being processed the same way, assumingGRGB Bayer Filter output).

I've also compared images from both models (5D and 7D), of the same subjects, in the same conditions, taken with the same lenses, using a variety of ISO speeds.Someone in Thailand was kind enough to compare these models in controlled conditions. They look the same to me.