Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:38 AM   #1

Are the old AF lenses fully compatible with the antishake system of the new 5D Maxxum SLR ? Or is there some lenses not compatible ?

Presently I have a SPxi camera with the AF 28-80 and 80-200 ZOOMxi lenses. (at least 10 years old)

What would be the advantage to buy one of the new AF DT zooms ?

Roger :?
Ropipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:36 AM   #2
Administrator

Roger, you can use any Maxxum (a.k.a., Dynax) lenses on the 7D (or upcoming 5D). The Maxxum 3x - 1x Macro Zoom is not compatible with Anti-Shake (but, still works otherwise). Other Maxxum lenses are fine (but no power zoom function).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:36 PM   #3

Jim,

Thank you for your quick reply.

And about the new AF DT lenses what would be their advantage compared to the previous lenses ?

Roger :?
Ropipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Administrator

Well, they are designed for Digital, and in this case that also means a smaller image circle (since the sensor in the 5D and 7D are smaller than 35mm film).

These new lenses appear to be made by Tamron for Konica-Minolta.

Although I'm sure many users will buy them, I'm personally avoiding any lenses that can't be used on both Digital and 35mm. For one thing, there is nothing to guarantee that Konica-Minolta won't release a full frame (35mm size sensor) model in the future. Well... on the other hand, there is only a $100 difference to get the 18-70mm kit lens if you're buying a 5D. So, it could make a good travel lens.

As for quality, I'd take each lens on a case by case basis. For example, I don't think you'll get the same image quality from a $149 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens that you are going to get from the more expensive 28-75mm f/2.8.

On the other hand, the 18-70mm is smaller, lighter with more focal range. Each user will need to decide what level of image quality they need for the focal ranges desired (keeping size, weight and cost in mind).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote