Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:12 PM   #1

I just bought the 7DWed and attempted asenior picturejob today and itdidn't go very well at all.

I was in A mode and used f3.5 up thru f11 but really didn't get what I was expecting. I used my mothers NikonD50 on my last senior picturejob and it went flawlessly.

I have heard aboutothers having blown highlights with the 7D but I was surprised at how bad mine were. The worst ones were when I used fill-flash or the regular flash even when set to lower power.

I will try to post a picture Sunday night. Please let me know ifyou have any ideas on what I can do.

Thanks!!!! Rob
neekak9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:16 PM   #2
Administrator

Hey Rob:

Was it the same way on the flash and non-flash photos (you said the worse ones were with flash, but that implies that all of them were impacted)?

Are you sure you didn't have the metering set incorrectly (perhaps left on spot by mistake or something)? Could you have set Exposure Compensation to a +EV value by accident?

From what I understand (I don't own one), the 7D has a tendency to expose for the highlights. So, it's not unusual for images to be underexposed (but, it sounds like you've got the opposite problem).

Was the lighting harsh (you do have a limited dynamic range to work with)?

It's probably a good idea to dial back the contrast a little bit shooting JPEG with the 7D from what I've read. But, it sounds like your problem is more severe than I'd expect (especially since the 7D leans towards underxposure).

That just doesn't sound right (especially compared to the D50, which tends to overexpose images slightly for less post processing, resulting in more blown highlights compared to the D70).

If only flash photos are impacted, then I'd expect something else to be at fault (probably a setting somewhere). From what I understand, you can setup the 7D for exposing flash based on ambient light by using the AEL button (basically, it goes into a slown sync mode versus a fixed shutter speed for flash). I also understand that you can control some of the balance between ambienet light and flash via camera settings.

I'd post some images that users can look at (keeping the EXIF intact so that camera settings are visible) so others may be able to comment on what could be going wrong.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:30 PM   #3

Thanks JimC. I will post one to see if I posted it correctly.

Rob
Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:41 AM   #4
Administrator

Well, it's overexposed, and the highlights are blown.

Depending on the lighting, you may get blown highlights in conditions like this, no matter what camera you're using (even with film). There are dynamic range limitations with either media type.

You should see some of the photos I've got with washed out backgrounds (some from flare)and blown highlights shooting color negative film (especially with water in the background with a backlit subject in shadows).

I don't know how much difference there was between the subject and the background here. What you may think is relatively even illumination may not be (and you can use spot metering to get readings to find out).

What's very odd about this shot is that you were using Center Weighted Metering (versus the default Multi-Segment Metering). Since the subject's shirt was white, I would have expected most cameras to underexpose the subject using Center Weighted Metering. Did you point the camera somewhere else and lock exposure before reframing?

Again, I don't own this camera, and I'm not familiar with it's metering behavior. But, the fist step I'd take is to reset it back to factory defaults (including the metering). Looking at the 7D review here, I see an option for this (Setup, Reset Defaults):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...xum7d_pg5.html

Chances are, the default metering would have exposed more for the highlights. I'd experiment with the other metering options, to see what impact your choices have. Then, you'd be more familiar with how this model behaves.

In conditions like this using flash, if you don't want the background overexposed and blown, you'll want to expose for it (using the flash to fill in your subject), and Matrix Metering may be a better choice here (since from most indications I've seen, it will expose for the highlights).

With center weighted metering, the camera was probably givng very little weight to the brighter sky and background (and if your subject was in shadows, even with the white shirt, it may not have given enough weight to the background).

What lens did you use? Did you use preflash ADI flash or Pre-Flash TTL?

If your flash exposures were much worse, it may be because the camera is trying to use the focus distance for metering, too (pure speculation on my part), and may have put too much weight on the darker portion of the image under the subject (since it *might* be basing metering on closer subjects only in certain modes). Again, speculation on my part.

You'll need to play around with it to see what impact different choices have on exposure. But, I'd stick to the defaults for metering and flash until you figure it out.

Did you upgrade your firmware to the latest version? Newer cameras are probably shipping with the newest firmware, but I'd check yours to make sure.

Perhaps some 7D owners can give their comments.

I'd also make sure to dial back your contrast some if you're going to shoot JPEG. The images from this model are a little too contrasty (IMO), which can impact highlights some.

Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:07 PM   #5

I used ADI flash and the kit 28-100 lens. I have not updated the firmware yet. Willl that help? I read somewhere that another firmware is coming soon but cannot remember where I saw it.

One good thing is the rebate starts 9-1-05. Another $200 off making it $999. for the body only.

Here is another one that is totally messed up. I am at a total loss on what to do. I worked with the camera store today and we didn'tfigure anything out either.

Thanks again!

Rob
Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:14 PM   #6
Administrator

Well, it's a tiny bit overexposed (but it's actually not too bad). Again, I'd reset it back to factory defaults and see how it performs. It may have some quirks trying to use it with Center Weighted Metering Outdoors with flash, giving more weight to your closer range subject. I'dtry the default metering instead and see if it meters more for the scene, while filling in with flash for your closer subject.

You may also want to try preflash TTL metering for flash (both metering types use a preflash anyway) to see if it's any better.

Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:18 PM   #7
Administrator

P.S. I would also upgrade your firmware to version 1.1 (it looks like you're on 1.0 from the EXIF info).

The newer firmware will give you a dramatic improvement in performance (write times to media) compared to 1.0, and it could have some exposure/flash system fixes, too. Sometimes manufacturers don't advertise everything done in a firmware upgrade (and the newer 1.1 firmware was released over 6 months ago):

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:23 PM   #8

Thanks. I'll try that. Here is one without flash. The subject seems too dark and the sky is not blue. Is this the ontrast thing you were talking about?

Thanks Jim.

Rob
Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:33 PM   #9
Administrator

Actually, that's about what I would expect.

Again, you've got a limited Dynamic Range to work with, and you may need to decide what's more important in a photo for metering purposes (changing metering modes and using Exposure Compensation to get the desired result).

If you increased exposure for the subject, you'd get a blown sky here, and if you expose for the sky, the rest would be even darker. I think you'd find the same thing with the D50 (try them both at the same time and you'll see what I mean). Chances are the sky wouldbe whiite if you tried toproperly expose your subject here without a flash with it.

That's one of the reasons you'll see graduated Neutral Density Filters used for many landscape type shots (so that less light reaches the sensor for the sky, keeping it from being washed out if you correctly expose the rest of the image).

That's where fill flash comes in (once you figure out where the metering quirks are coming from). You can expose for the background (or sky more if you like), then let the flash fill in for the subject.