Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 2, 2005, 12:18 PM   #1

when the anti-shake is on, does the camera continuously move the sensor and your hands are moving, or does the sensor move only after the shutter is released?

i know how it works, but when, during the shooting process, does it actually start working.

thanks.
sajdahgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2005, 7:31 PM   #2

My understanding is that it waits untill the shutter opens to actually shift the sensor.

I read this on Mike Johnston's Sunday Morning Photographer column.
LesGirrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 9:31 AM   #3

wow....how does it have enough time to do all those calculations in 1/30 of a sec.

impressive.

thanks for replying!!
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:22 AM   #4

I'm guessing it is analyzing the movement before-hand and just waits to make the actual shift untill its necessary.

When shooting it has a meter showing how much camera shake it is compensating for (1-5 bars).

Only a matter of time before every DSLR has anti-shake in the body
Old Sep 7, 2005, 9:04 PM   #5

cool.

so do you think this is a selling point for the 7d? should i get it?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:23 PM   #6

Well, its really "the" selling point about the camera.

I think its brilliant, personally. I don't ever want to live without anti-shake again.

It does use a bit more battery power when activated, averaging somewhere around 350 shots on a charge. Luckily my memory card can't hold more than that (1gb)

After the anti-shake its a question of what you need/want/can afford on the body and whether to go with the 7d or 5d.

IMHO, any company that can come up with something as brilliant as anti-shake in the body deserves some business.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:17 AM   #7

I have a question about anti-shake system, Why I have to put off the anti-shake switch when I´m using tripot?.
belibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 9:58 AM   #8
Administrator

I'm no expert. But, it has something to do with a "feedback loop" if the camera is expecting movement and there is none to adjust for.

Other models with stabilization (movinglens elementsversus moving a CCD in the camera body) can also suffer from this problem (and I've seen arguments both ways on whether or not it "really" causes a problem in most conditions). It probably depends on your shutter speeds and the stability of the tripod.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 9:20 PM   #9

hello, if you are being buffeted by high winds while on a tripod or if you have vibrations transmitted to the tripod, i think you can use the antimotion to good effect, but I've not yet tried this...it would be a good experiment to see what frequencies the sensor compensates for .....anyone from KM listening?

regards
bfedwards is offline   Reply With Quote