Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:00 PM   #1

I am wondering if any one has experience with this lens on either 5D or 7D. I believe this is compatible with both of those digital camera no?

http://www.vistek.ca/details/detail_...cs=N&Box=N

I am wondering how well does it work with those and how fast is it.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:24 PM   #2
Administrator

This is a relatively poorly rated lens by users. It also does not rate very high on MTF tests (much of the longer end looks to be a bit soft, even with the aperture stopped down).

It could perform better on a DSLR (since a DSLR isn't using the entire image circle). But, I wouldn't count on it.

You may want to consider the Minolta AF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO D instead (another zoom lens with about the same brightness as the one you're looking at).

Itratesbetter on MTF tests at http://www.photodo.com , and is much better rated byusers (especially for a lens in this price range) based on the lens performance surveys at http://www.photozone.de

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:40 PM   #3

How much usually do one of those go for?
Old Sep 5, 2005, 11:23 PM   #4
Administrator

I don't have any idea in Canada.

In the U.S., it looks like they're around $389 from B&H (a very reputable dealer):

Price Search for Minolta 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO

There are several versions of this len: APO versus non-APO, D and non-D, older styles versus newer styles, so I'd make sure you're getting the one you want when shopping. The optics should be the same with the APO versions. Here is a page you may find useful for comparing Minolta lenses:

http://www.mhohner.de/minolta/lenses.php

On the used market, the prices look like they're going to vary a bit (probably around $200.00 or so for the APO lens (but you may not get a D lens going used). Personally, I wouldn't care if it were a D lens (but, I would want the APO version of this particular lens). B&H has one now at $229 in their used department.

I'd make sure to read through the lens perormancesurveys at http://www.photozone.de for any lenses you may consider, since you'll find users have rated them based on a variety of factors (sharpness, flare, AF Speed, etc.).

Do you have a specific use for a lens in this focal range?

You may want to make sure lenses likeyou're looking at are suited for the task.In less than optimum lighting, you may want a brighter lens. Of course, that increases size, weight and cost substantially if you want something better suited for low light shooting like sports at night or indoors, etc. In a lens with this focal range (100-300mm) and lens brightness (f/4.5-5.6), this Minolta appears to be pretty good (and not too large and heavy compared to a brighter lens).

Keep in mind that you'll need to multiply the actual focal length of the lens by 1.5x for use on a DSLR model like this. So, a 100-300mm lens on a 5D or 7D would have a 35mm equivalent focal range of 150-450mm.

I'd make sure to check the used departments at keh.com, adorama.com, bhphotovideo.com when shopping, too. You can often find some pretty good bargains on lenses that way. Of course, the same can be said of ebay.

Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:26 AM   #5

My purpose is mainly for daytime motorsport stuff, so lighting shouldn't be an issue I hope...speed might though.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 12:41 PM   #6
Administrator

The easiest way to get user opinions on AF speed for lenses you consider is by looking at some of the lens performance surveys.

I can't seem to get the direct link to these opinion surveys to post correctly here. Something in the url is throwing off the url code brackets.

So, to get to the database at photozone.de, select Minolta AF Mount Lenses at the bottom of this page (under User Performance Surveys):

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

Then, scroll down to you where see a Start Query Button for browsing the database and press it (you can leave everything else at defaults to see all lenses in Minolta AF mount in the database).

You will also see third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.) available for Minolta AF mount.

The fastest focusing (and sharpest) lenses on the planet for your type of photography in Minolta AF mount would be the Minolta 70-200mm f/2.8 APO G (D) SSM (not in the survey), and 300mm f/2.8 APO G (D) SSM lenses.

These have KM's Supersonic Motor Technology with fast and quiet Autofocus built into the lens (versus usng the camera body's focus motor).

You don't want to know what these cost. But, if you're doing this professionally, you may want to take a look. ;-)

Some of the other 70 or 80 to 200mm f/2.8 lenses aren't too bad either (some with this brightness and focal range are also geared to focus a bit faster, and make sure to look at lenses from 3rd party manufacturers, too). Also, users responding to surveys appear to be pleased with the focus speed of the lower cost (not to mention smaller and lighter) 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO lens I mentioned from looking at the surveys (if you'll be in better light), provided this lens isn't too long for what you want to shoot.

I'd make sure to try lenses you consider in a store first, too. You'll want to make sure you're comfortable with the overall design, minimum focus distance, construction quality, AF speed, ergonomics size, weight, filter size, zoom ring, focus mechanism and stuff that's hard to tell from reading charts and opinions.

Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:33 PM   #7

I am sorta new at this if you can't tell already.....lol, can you explain the difference between APO/non-APO and the D designation?

And how do B&H decide how much the used lens sells at? And if their condition are to be trusted?

Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:52 PM   #8
Administrator

RacingManiac wrote:
Quote:
I am sorta new at this if you can't tell already.....lol, can you explain the difference between APO/non-APO and the D designation?
APO stands for Apochromatic:

http://www.answers.com/topic/apochromatic

I wouldn't go by such designations in lenses, as manufacturers always try to use these types of descriptions to impress. You really need to take lenses on a case by case basis. But, the 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO lenses from Minolta have a newer lens design compared to the non-APO version, and have an additional lens element compared to the older non-APO version. I haven't seen enough info on the older lens (user opinions or MTF charts) to trust buying it (even though I see one on Ebay right now for $115).

Minolta lenes with a D designation means that they support Minoltas ADI (Advanced Distance Integration) feature, which transmits information about focus distance back to the camera for flash exposure purposes. But, even Minolta lenses without this feature still transmit focus distance information back to the camera (it's just not as accurate, and the camera may not use it for flash exposure). Personally, I don't care about it. Minolta flash systems require a preflash with their DSLR models, even with an ADI compatible lens.

Quote:
And how do B&H decide how much the used lens sells at?
I don't know how they decide. I decide how much I'm willing to pay by shopping around and taking a look at what others are selling them for. Don't always assume that you're seeing the best price when lens shopping. I bought a lens in new conditon not long ago for less than what B&H, KEH, and Adorama are selling the same lens in used condition for. So, it pays to shop around.

On the other hand, I've seen some really good deals at these vendors.

Quote:
And if their condition are to be trusted?
B&H is a very reputable vendor. But, perhaps their condition can't always be trusted.

For example, I recently purchased a used Minolta 135mm f/2.8 from B&H in 8+ Condition.

Well, I had to look very closely to even tell the lens was not new (the only giveaway was that I could tell the lens mount contacts had been used upon close examination). The optics, fit and finish were perfect.

So, I think the rating was wrong. It should have rated at least a 9+ :-)

I had the same thing happen with a Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8 lens in Minolta AF mount that I recently purchased from KEH in bargain condition. My brother-in-law was here when I opened the box, and when I showed him the invoice, along with the description for Bargain (which sounds pretty bad from a cosmectic perspective) on the KEH.com web site, he said "that lens looks like new".

So, sometimes you get lenses that have very conservative ratings from these guys, since the used lenses I've bought from B&H or KEH have arrived in better than expected condition.