Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:36 PM   #1

I bought a new 7D in December 2004, and have had to send it back to K-M every three or four months for repairs. I now have to send it back again. Each time it costs me 30.00 for shipping and 30.00 for insurance.

What happens is that it suddenly stops working. I will be carrying the camera in the "on" position and suddenly the monitor will light up without touching anything. Then I cannot shut it off, and the camera has no function. When I remove the battery to reset it, I cannot turn it on. Occasionally, when I turn it on, the monitor will light up, but the camera still has no function.

The first time I sent it back to K-M, they shipped it back saying they could find nothing wrong. Apparently all that bouncing around from the Post Office fixed it.

The second time I sent it back, they said they repaired the auto focus module connection. It worked for about five weeks and I am back to the same problem. No function.

The last time it happened (yesterday) I let it set overnight and found it to be working in the morning. However, the monitor showed that the battery was only half charged even though in reality it was fully charged. When I recharged the battery to see what the monitor would show, it froze up again and is still non-functional. It has the latest firmware upgrade installed my K-M.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong. I know I can keep sending it back to K-M, but that is like paying rent every few weeks. Would appreciate any advice before I return it to K-M.

jomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2005, 12:03 PM   #2

Write them a strong letter explaining your displeasure and ask for a replacement. Be polite, but firm. Especially mentioning the price for shipping/insurance that these problems have cost you (in addition to lost shots). Type it out, make it look proffesional, and they will probably respond to it.
LesGirrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 2:04 PM   #3
Administrator

Just out of curiosity, have you ruled out the battery, memory card or lens as being the culprit?

Also, do you have the VC-7D Grip?

If so, it would be my primary suspect (I've seen similar problems reported before that turned out to be a problem with the Grip's connection to the body).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:41 PM   #4

Yes, I have the vertical grip. This has happened three times now. The first time, I'm not sure if I had the grip attached. The second time I didn't, and the third time I did. I also have tried different lens (Minolta) as suggested by K-M repairs but nothing happened. I also tried different memory cards and no go. I have the rechargeable AA batteries that I can use in the grip, and they make no difference. It does, however, appear to me to be a power issue. I can understand how some of the things you mentioned could case problems, but usually freezes are temporary and once the culprit is found, the camera should be back in action. Mine is stone cold dead. The only thing it is good for is a paper weight.

Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:44 PM   #5

I sent the camera back today, and I did what you suggested. I asked for a replacement because I feel this issue never will be settled. But, I think in order to actually get a replacement, I'll have to sue Konica-Minolta. I'm 63 now and would probably not live long enough to see it settled.

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:40 AM   #6

Well I hope it doesn't have to come that

Good luck in your quest
LesGirrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 6:50 PM   #7

The third time I sent the 7D back to Konica-Minolta, I also contacted the retailer who sold me the camera (Camera Canada). Camera Canadaadvised their K-M rep of the problems I was having, and the rep looked into it on my behalf. Thanks to Camera Canada and their K-M sales rep, my 7D was replaced. I received the new camera today.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:22 PM   #8

That's good news.

Can you post the contact/web information for Camera Canada? I think it is beneficial to support good retailers by word of mouth. I'd like to check out their prices.

To where did you have to send it for warranty work?

Thank you

blyefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:41 PM   #9

http://www.cameracanada.com/
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:33 AM   #10

http://www.cameracanada.com/

Camera Canada generally sells for a lower price than anyone else in Canada but it still pays to check around. I either buy from Camera Canada, Vistek, or Henry's in Canada. Vistek and Henry's has free shipping over a certain amount, Camera Canada does not. That could also be a substantial saving. All three mentioned above have large inventories and ship very quickly.

I sent my 7D to the K-M repair facility in Mississauga, Ontario. I understand, however, that this depot is closing shortly. I would image that someone else will be designated to handle Konica-Minolta repairs at that time.