Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:06 AM   #11

There's a fairly new site http://www.dyxum.com that's dedicated to Minolta Digital and he has put together a good database of lenses that are compatible with the 7D and 5D and many have user reviews.

Cheers
Ian
BartonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:08 AM   #12

JimC-

Where does the SRT model fit into Minolta's time line. Would those lenses be useable on the KM 5D? You might recall that the SRT 101 is the camera your brother in law owns. Or will an adaptor be needed for SRT lenses? Thanks for your help!

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:12 AM   #13
Administrator

The SRT-101 is an older modelmanual focus camera, and will not use newer Maxxum/Dynax lens, since Minolta AF lenses use a different mount.

The SRT-101 was manufactured from 1966-1975:

http://members.aol.com/manualminolta/srt101.htm

Minolta later came out with newer Manual Focus models with even more features (for example, the XD-7/11, X-700, XK, and more).

Then, in 1985, Minolta came out with the Maxxum 7000 (Dynax 7000 inmany parts of the world),the World's first body integral Autofocus SLR, with a variety of lenses using a totally new electronic lensmount, which is still in use today.

All Maxxum/Dynax cameras, film and digital, are designed for this newAutofocus lens mount introduced in 1985, and will not use the older MC/MD Manual Focuslensesthat the Manual Focus Minolta cameras used (like my brother-in-law's SRT-101).

That's why you'd need to try and find an adapter to use older Minolta Manual Focus lenses on a KM DSLR, and would need to use stop down metering (if an adapter would work, as I haven't tried one to find out).

I bought a Maxxum 7000 on Ebay not too long agofor $49, including a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 AF lens (which was my main reason for buying it) and a small Minolta 1800AFflash (which won't work on the newer DSLR models).

I used this camera (Maxxum 7000) yesterday, when we drove tomy parents' home in South Carolinatocelebratemy father's84th birthday.I useda Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8,Fuji Superia X-TRA 800 film, and Ididn't even bother tousea flash (lots ofambient light coming inthrough windows, very good overhead lighting)

You can read about the Maxxum 7000 here:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...sics/maxxum7k/

Quote:
... a relatively low profile Minolta rocked the entire photographic community in January 1985 with a new breed of AF camera which has a revolutionary concept that made it differed from other "mainstream industrial design" adopted by other makers. "New" because there were two major factors of which one of them has a great impact to the existing Minolta users - the Company decided to drop support for the older MC/MD mount and replaced with an fully electronic lens mount with no backward compatibility.
Quote:

But a more important element is, the Maxxum 7000 AF SLR camera was the first true system AF SLR with an body integrated AF design with a host of new AF lenses built around the camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 9:12 AM   #14
Administrator

P.S. - Of course, in addition to Autofocus being integrated beginnig with the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 7000body in 1985, Konica-Minolta now has integrated in body AntiShake in their newerDSLR models,as found in theMaxxum/Dynax 5D and 7D.

We've seen some good ideas from this company. :-)
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:27 PM   #15

I've found a 70-210mm f/4 on eBay labeled as the "cross XX" version, what is that exactly?
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:46 AM   #16
Administrator

The two XX's in the word Maxxum are arranged differently, where they are overlapped. These are referred to as "cross x" products.

I don't know how long Minolta had this cross xversion ofthe word Maxxum, but you can sometmes find cameras (for example, the Maxxum 7000), lenses, and manuals all with Maxxum this way (crossedversus separated X's in the print).

Apparently it was short lived, as "crossed x" products are rarer.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 6:43 PM   #17

Hi, I've just bought a 5D. It has a dead/stuck pixel, so I'm taking it back to be replaced, but that's another story. I got the kit lens with it, as it was only £20 (GBP) more, so I'm looking for extra glass, and this thread has really got me interested.

What is the difference between an ebay bargain Minolta 70-210 f/4, and a brand new digital telephoto lens?

What don't you get with the much cheaper option?

thanks
Punce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 6:52 PM   #18
Administrator

Punce wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I've just bought a 5D. It has a dead/stuck pixel, so I'm taking it back to be replaced, but that's another story. I got the kit lens with it, as it was only £20 (GBP) more, so I'm looking for extra glass, and this thread has really got me interested.

What is the difference between an ebay bargain Minolta 70-210 f/4, and a brand new digital telephoto lens?

What don't you get with the much cheaper option?

thanks
Are you sure about the dead/stuck pixel? Is it only the LCD or is it showing up in your images? Is it hot/stuck or dead? Are you sure it's not dust?

If it's a stuck pixel on the CCD (on all the time and visible in your images at typical shutter speeds), do this:

Set your date on your camera forward a couple of months and save it.

Wait a minute. Then, power cycle it (turn it off, waitaminute, and turn it back on). It should take alonger to come on then. Takes some photos and see if the stuckpixelwent away. Repeat if necessary.

Then,set the date back to what it should be and power cycle it again. Let us know if that works (hidden pixel remap function in 7D that remaps pixels periodically based on dateis probably in the5D, too).

Quote:

I dunno.. better build quality withthe older lens? ;-)

You really need to take lenses on a case by case basis.

The 70-210 f/4is not the smallest and lightest lens around (but, it's really not bad either, especially compared to an f/2.8 lens with this much range).

So, that's a concern with some users compared to some of the smaller and lighter offerings.

It's also not a D (ADI compatible) lens. So, that may be an issue with some users, too (although from my perspective the jury is still out on how much ADI compatibility helps with flash exposure using Digital).

It may also be a touch more prone to CA compared to some newer lenses. Other design issues may also come into play (focus ring, rotating front element, etc.).

But, from most user comments, this lens is a real bargain, and sharp even wide open.

Old Oct 19, 2005, 7:25 AM   #19

70-210 f4 iswhat I end up getting anyway. The lens is superb. I haven't had much issue with CA and the picture are as colorful and as sharp as it can be(until maybe I win a lottery and buy a 70-200mm SSM). With the crop factor the reach is quite awesome. If you shoot mostly outdoor daylight type of picture the slow focus issue that people talk about for this older lens is not a problem...works good for macro too....you just need to stand further away....

Who would've thought something this old is this good on a brand new digicam....

RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:08 PM   #20

The 70-210 F4 is indeed a bargain. I would try and find one while the price is still low. It focuses fast enough for most and being a non "D' isn't much of an issue since you don't use a flash very often with a long zoom.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote