Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:42 PM   #31

Iactually found a way to make one

http://www.camerahacker.com/Olympus_...l_pin-out.html

and btw thats a great page with lots of things to"hack" your cameras

Shanti Castillo G.
Shanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 5:29 PM   #32

I have been recommended going for a 100-300mm f4.5-f5.6 APO lens. And I can see that it has a pretty good review. And I've seen a non-APO lens for sale of the same focal length and aperture. Is this a good lens also? or is the APO streets ahead?

All these acronyms are starting to make me dizzy :? in a good way though.

I'm basically trying to horde up on some 'older' lenses, and I would like to know the main differences with the much newer and more pricier D/APO lenses. thanks
Punce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:39 AM   #33

I also have just purchased KM Maxxum 5D and wondering if I can find an adapter to use the lenses from my husbands Minolta 101 film camera. Did you find an adapter?

Tachi
Tachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:49 AM   #34
Administrator

The SRT-101 used a totally different lens mount. Minolta changed the lens mount in 1985 with the introduction of the Maxxum 7000, with a new lineup of Autofocus Lenses.

Yes, you can sometimes find adapters.

But, in order to focus to infiinity, you usually need one with the equivalent of a 1.4x teleconveter built in. So, the lenses would appear be even longer (and you'd lose a stop of light from the use of this type of converter, too). In addition, since the camera can't "talk" to the old lenses via an adapter, you can't control the aperture via the camera. As a result, you'll need to meter "stopped down", making your viewfinder even dimmer.

You're probalby better off getting more modern Autofocus Lenses (a.k.a., Maxxum, Dynax, Minolta A mount).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:40 AM   #35

Thanks for the reply. Guess they won't work. Would have been nice. I thought you were trying to find an adapter for your brother in law's lenses?

Tachi

Tachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:52 AM   #36
Administrator

Tachi wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Guess they won't work. Would have been nice. I thought you were trying to find an adapter for your brother in law's lenses?
I've considered it. But, I've already acquired some primes in the same focal lengths he has now, and the hassle of using an adapter probably isn't worth the trouble, considering the need for an adapter with the equivalent of a teleconverter built in, and the need to use stop down metering. (not to mention that the viewfinders in DSLR models are really not optmized for manual focus purposes).

So far, I've got the 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, and 135mm f/2.8 for primes in Minolta AF mount.

But, you can find third party adapters if you really want to see how well the old lenses work.

KM even has one (has a 2x TC built in, so you'd lose 2 stops of light with this one). B&H is out of stock though:

KM MD to Maxxum Lens Adapter at B&H

They also carry some third party adapters. But, it's my understanding you'll need one with at least a 1.4x TC built in to focus to infinity with Minolta Manual focus lenses on a KM DSLR model using one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote