Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:48 PM   #1

I am currently sitting on a fence. The minolta 5d and the nikon d50. The 5d has a few nice features not provided by nikon, as well as I have a few lenses already for my maxxum 5500i. Nikon reviews talk about shutter response and startup time. I have been unable to find this data on any of the LIMITED reviews of the Konica Minolta 5d.

If anyone has any data, or ideas, please send them. I really like the Nikon, and really like the Minolta, since both are priced so close to each other. I'm sitting on a fence.

HELP

Michael Grace
mikesjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2005, 1:58 PM   #2

Got my 5D last week, about two weeks after a colleague at work got the nikon! You're right in that they are very similar - my decision was based on the excellent experience I've had with my Minolta Dimage7 over the last three years and the provision of Anti Shake- I didn't have a collection of Minolta or Nikon lenses and as you say both cameras are very similar.

I can't give you any stopwtch measurememts but on startupit seems to be just the same as my colleague's nikon i.e. vitually instant - slide the on-off switch & press the shutter. Shutter delay has not been an issue for me, but I mostly shoot landscape and macros - however compared to the Dimage7 it seems vastly improved - I havejust bought a Sigma 70-200mmzoom on ebay and been trying it capturing garden birds - something I just couldn't really contemplate before.

Hope this helps
BartonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 5:18 PM   #3

I know you said you have only had the camera a short time, but so far, are there any complaints you have about it ? The anti shake and the mirror lock up are a couple of the features that make me lean more toward the KM-5d. I like to take close ups as well as fast action sports stuff, such as high school football games, as well as the generalized shots of my kids in the yard. I make the assunption that there is a metal tripod connector in the bottom, as the specs I have read do not tell me this.

If your camera clicks off a shot as fast as you release theshutter, then lag is near absent. I can't believe that there was no mention in specs about startup time or shutter lag. I have not found any reviews of this camera yet either. :sad:

My wife would like me to set up a home studio for shooting family portraits of our children before they grow old like us, and I'm sure this camera will do this wonderfully. I have grown tired of paying and paying for film and its processing, only to find out that a few of the shots were keepers. Well thanks for the reply.

Happy Shooting

Mike Grace

Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:00 AM   #4

Mike,

The camera does have a metal tripod ataching thread - you mention closeups - here's one - I've had to compress it quite a bit to get within the 250400 byte limit here, but printed out on my S9000 it looks pretty stunning - taken with the 5D and a Tamrn 90mm di lens (eBay rules!!)

Go on get the Minolta - you know it makes sense!!:-)

Cheers

Ian

Attached Images

Old Sep 8, 2005, 6:12 PM   #5

Nice pic Ian, I am going to place my order Monday. I can get the body, an extra battery and a bag, with a 1gb memory card and a 18-70mm dt lense fer 929.oo so i guess that with the 70-210 macro lenseI already have and the 50mmI have will have me set pretty well. I still want to get a long lense like maybe 500mm for sports stuff, but I will have enough to learn already. I CAN'T WAIT,,, I MIGHT JUST HAVE TO PAY FOR EXTRA FAST DELIVERY NOW...

Did you use a macro lense, or a close up filter for that shot, I have a few that I took on film with my 50mm and a 4xfilter on top of a 4x filter,,,

Mike
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:50 PM   #6

Nikon has more lens and flashes and grip (I think). Minolta has anti-shake built in. ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*From the 5D FAQ athttp://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/cam/cam_product_pages/Maxxum_5D?mDetail=Faqs¬* ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*How fast is the time lag for shutter release?¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*Approximately 0.12 sec. (From when the shutter-release button is pressed¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*How long does it take to boot the camera? ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*Approximately 1 second in recording mode. (It depends on the type of memory card being used). ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*I ordered mine last saturday ($784US from Buy.com, with lens and shipping! :-)-Allan¬* ¬*(sorry about the formating, but this forum doesn't work well when using Safari).
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 2:57 AM   #7

Good call Mike!! I'm sure you'll love the camera - I do.

The close -up was taken with the Tamron 90mm 1:1 Macro - yet another ebay bargain!!

Cheers

Ian
Old Sep 9, 2005, 6:32 AM   #8

I for one can appreciate a good e-bay bargain, last year I bought a 70-210 mm macro lense for 50 dollars, for my Minolta maxxum 5000i. Off subject, but where is a great place to store an unlimited amount of photos online??

Mike
Old Sep 9, 2005, 7:18 AM   #9

mikesjoint wrote:
Quote:
Off subject, but where is a great place to store an unlimited amount of photos online??

Mike

Can't help you I'm afraid - I use a DVD writer for backup, I wrotemy ownwebsite for displaying photos (http://www.ianj49.co.uk) and http://www.photosig.com for showing photos for critiques & general education.

Cheers

Ian
Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:11 AM   #10

Well Ian, it has been nearly a month that you have had your 5D, so far what do you think ? I called BHphoto yesterday and placed my order, now I am eagerly waiting like a kid on Christmas morning. Santa should come today in his big brown van, and I plan on greeting him at the door . Since there really have not been any solid reviews, I just wondered how has your experience been with it so far.

Michael