Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:55 PM   #1

Mine was just delivered on Friday night, after paying $200 CAD for the custom charge the total so far comes to about $1500 CAD for the 5D+Kit lens, a Minolta SLR Gadget bag, a Sandisk Extreme III 1GB, and an extra batt(ordered from B&H). Inclusive of shipping. As this is my first SLR camera of any kind, much time was spent on how to use the various setting. I like the solid feel of the camera and where most of the buttons are located. I like the WB setting and the ability to set color temp. Outdoor shoot on Sat reveals that with the broader apature range(compare to my P&S Z1)I can shoot at slower shutter speed at broad daylight without having my pic looks overly bright as before. The color is a lot more vibrant compare to the Z1 as well. However one day at the track already left me wanting for more telephoto than the 18-70mm DT can provide. And I can't wait for my used 70-210mm f/4 to arrive. I also tried some Macro shot with my Japanese Anime model kit and I like the results I see. Will update more as more oppotunity arise.

Low point so far I think is the resolution of the LCD. I guess it might just be me wanting more out of the big LCD screen, it certainly looks better than the small one on Z1, but I with the pixel count could be higher....

RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:34 AM   #2

Got a whole day of shooting race cars on Saturday, the 70-210 f4 did great exceeding all my expectation. AF in daylight in fast and the color and sharpnessare way better than my DiMAGE Z1 could do...I can now really say I am very happy with my camera....

Shooting mainly with Shutter Priority @ 1/125 @ L & X.fine. The 1GB memory card holds about 250 shots at this res.

Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:57 AM   #3

:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:09 AM   #4
Administrator

I like seeing this technique (using a slower shutter speed while panning to give the cars a sense of speed). A shutter speed fast enough to freeze the background, wheels, etc., would lose this appeal.

I've seen some pretty decent shots of similar subjects taken with the 7D this way (and the antishake helps the shooter to get them at slower shutter speeds than may be possible using a model without antishake at longer focal lengths).

Just my two cents worth and that kind of thing is always subjective.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:29 AM   #5

Heh I've been shooting like this since I got a camera that I can control Shutter speed(Canon Powershot A20 can't....).....with better apature control on the DSLR compared to DiMAGE Z1 the pic can be shot at slowered shutter without the sunlight overpowering the pic...Z1 doesn't go higher than F8....