Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 21, 2005, 3:25 PM   #1

What exactly do these do? I'd like to know these setting better to make full use of my 5D, but I find the manual to not be of much help...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:59 AM   #2

I guess the lack of response might mean nobody really understands it well. My meager understanding is that, when you use professional printers, the Adobe colorspace is better. Meaning more colors are recorded. I'm told there is no disadvantage to using it, regardless of the printer, so I switched it over. I hope this is acurate and helpful.
jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:07 AM   #3
Administrator

I'm no expert in this area either.

Yes, the Adobe Color Gamut iswider. But, your software must be able to recognize it. Otherwise, you'll have "flat" looking photos if a viewer or editor that is not "Adobe RGB Aware" is looking at it.

sRGB is the way most viewers expect the images for correct display, so you'll want to convert them to sRGB for web posting, etc.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:13 PM   #4

I think thats good enough of an answer...thanks! I'll play around with that somemore after I got P.Shop....
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:37 PM   #5

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:38 PM   #6

For home printing, I understand that it's pointless to use the Adobe RGB setting, because most home photo printers won't be able to print all the colors that you see on the monitor. But what about if we upload online to a professional printing service? Is it than better to use the Abobe setting due to it's wider color gamut?
1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote