Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:01 AM   #11

Try again...

I don't find the display to behighly visible in sunlight, even for info. True, it's low res, but in low lightthe previewcanprovide a very good idea of whether the exposure is acceptable. And by zooming in you can check shaprness very effectively. But my experience in sunlight is that it's almost as much guesswork as film cameras were! The hard plastic protector made it much worse. The flip up cover sounds like a good idea.

I bought Gary Friedman's book two days ago. He claims to have done a battery draw test under various conditions, and found that the display brightness setting had a very small effect on battery draw. So the answer may be simply to goose up the brightness when you're working outdoors. Now if only KM had put in an ambient light sensor to automatically adjust...
jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:29 AM   #12

re: brightness adjustment

well.............................................. ............duh!
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:18 PM   #13
Administrator

IMO, it's not really the resolution in many cases.

You may have two different camera models with identical LCD specs (as far as size and resolution go). Yet, one model's displaymay be sharp and clear, and the other model's display may be "washed out" and harder to see (especially in sunlight).

I can remembercomparing displays witha friend of mine with a Canon model that had the virtually same LCD size and specs as a little Konica KD-510z I carry with me everywhere in my pocket. This friend exclaimed "wow" (a frequent reaction I get when showing people photos on my Konica's display), and it really was *that* much better than the display on the Canon model. We were comparing them side by side.

The Konica's LCD is relatively small, and it's resolution is only 115K. But,it's a pretty decent display (I'd take it any day of the week over the larger and higher resolution display used in the KM 7D, and I have used a 7D briefly).

But, mostbuyers look at the size and resolution factor only (the more is better phenomena), without taking other display characteristics into consideration (color, contrast, brightness, viewing angle usability, problems with reflections in sunlight, etc.).

Withnon-DSLR models a good display is more critical (especially on a compact model with a very tiny viewfinder), since the LCD is often preferred for framing (versus just viewing images and changing camera settings).

I''ve got a KM 5D coming, and a"con" is it's display (it's even lower resolution compared to the 7D, and it is still limited to 4X playback magnification, making it harder to review your shots for problems. My Konica KD-510zmagnifies to 12x (which far exceeds any advantage you'd have with a largerdisplay with twice the resolution for scrolling around and checking fine details, as compared to the 7D display,much less one with the same resolution as my Konicalike the KM 5D display -- even if the other display characteristics (contrast, brightness, etc.) were the same.

I'llmake some comments on the 5D's display when it gets here, after I give it a good "workout"

But, I really don't consider the display to be a big issue on these cameras. With a DSLR, you're less reliant ona display than you are with a compact digicam.

Also, we're a bit spoiled by modern cameras anyway. I still shoot my share offilm (too much), and you don't have the ability to review photos, etc. You wait until after you get the film processed.

Ditto for all of the "fancy" features you see in modern cameras. We're just plain spoiled. :-)

If you can see most of what you need in the viewfinder (and IMO, you can with most modern cameras), you don't need the display as often (of course, YMMV, depending on how you use a camera). Even though it would be "nice" to have a better display, the other characteristics of a camera are far more important (at least to me).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 8:55 AM   #14

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:19 AM   #15
Administrator

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Well Jim you finally pulled the trigger.

I've been planning on buying one of these two models (5D or 7D). I've already used a 7D. So, now I'll see how the 5D compares (I wouldn't say that I've actually "pulled the trigger" yet, though).

I wish I could have them both at the same time for a more thorough comparison.LOL

I've been leaning towards buyinga 5D over the 7D (even though the price of both models is virtually identical after the rebate, since I'll want to buy a hotshoeadapter for usingPC cord attached strobes and flashes).

I've seen "just enough" to make me believe that the 5D has some improvements I'd like to have (for example: ability to magnify raw, metering active with a flash attached and on without jumping through hoops with the AEL button).

It also appears thatit might be slightly more sensitive to light at higher ISO speeds compared to the 7D (about 1/2 stop brighter exposure at higher ISO speeds, at the same manual exposure settings from one test I've seen comparing the two cameras (with identical subjects, lighting, lenses, shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed and white balance).

The test may have been flawed in some manner (but not from what I've been able to determine so far).

Both models have their strengths and weaknesses, and I personally prefer the ergonomics of a larger camera in an SLR type model (not to mention that I wear eyeglasses and a better viewfinder would be a plus).

But, a smaller and lighter camera has it's benefits, too (except when you're going to be usng a heavier lens with it anyway, in which case the larger camera is better balanced and easier to handle -- at least IMO).

Any choice is a compromise. But, the harder it is to choose between two cameras, the more likely I'll be happy with either decision.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 4:42 PM   #16

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
re: brightness adjustment

well.............................................. ............duh!
Quote:
Before you belittle, consider that most people have hesitated to boost the brightness of the display for fear of shortening it's life and draining the battery. I really don't think the "duh" is called for. Be nice!
Old Oct 4, 2005, 5:04 PM   #17

jimjomac,

the 'duh' was meant for myself !!!!!!!!
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 2:01 PM   #18

My sincerest apologies, guess I'm too defensive!

These cams are so complicated, it's easy to miss some of the obvious settings. That's why we have a forum.