Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:43 AM   #1

How about the adhesive protectors sold for PDA's (Palm, Pocket PC, etc) screens? They're cheap, easy to use. Only dis is they don't provide impact protection. I lost the original heavy plastic protector recently, but I hated it anyway because it's harder to see the screen in daylight. I'd like to know if the concensus is the adhesive variety would be good enough.
jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:33 PM   #2

NO NO NO

why take the risk?

(put the 'clingy' plastic on the hard shell to avoid scratches and replace as necessary)

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:39 PM   #3
Administrator

Delkin released an interesting new product in July that we ran on our breaking news page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...05.html#eshade

This Pop-Up Shade doubles as both an LCD protective cover and a glare guard

I e-mailed them asking if they planned on supporting the KM 7D, and they sent me an e-mail back letting me know that they would be adding the KM 7D.

I just checked their web site and it's available now for $34.99 (look at the Snap-on shades under the DSLR-Standard menu and you'll find the 7D):

http://www.delkin.com/delkin_products_pop_up_shade.html

If anyone triies it, let us know how well it works.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:27 PM   #4

mount it (snap it on)

unfold it to display info

fold it to use viewfinder

take pic

unfold it to check/preview pic

etc, etc, etc

(KM 7D does not have top LCD for setting info) ! WTF !
Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:34 PM   #5
Administrator

LOL

Yea, I was looking at it wondering how much trouble that might be (closing the darn cover to bring the camera up to your eye, etc.).

I was trying to find the hinges in the photos, wondering of the outside flip out cover was removable or not. :-) No luck figuring it out from the images.

It's got a glass cover cover as part of it. So, if you could remove the "door" from the hinges, then the glass and frame would act as an LCD protector (but I don't know how it may or may not help with the glare if you did that).

Heck, it might make the glare worse, depending on the coatings (or lack thereof).

I guess we'll need to wait on user reports to find out how well it works (or doesn't work).

P.S.

If we could only tie the flip up cover into an eyestart sensor so that it snaps shut as try to use the viewfinder (hopefully, before the cover hits you in the face)... :?

Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:16 PM   #6

yeah, and if cows had wings............................................. ...........................

as i said before: (put the 'clingy' plastic on the hard shell to avoid scratches and replace as necessary)

Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:50 PM   #7
Administrator

Viewing some displays can be a chore in bright sunlight, and it looks like a pretty nifty design.

Have you seen the old Hoodman products (I've got one somewhere, but I have no idea where it is now).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hoodman.html

The Delkin product looks like a big improvement in the design (if it actually works). LOL

I've owned a variety of digital cameras and the displays on some of them are just awful in bright sunlight. I broke out an old Nikon Coolpix 950 and took some photos with it over the weekend -- just for the heck of it.

That display is *bad*. You need something to help in bright sun (and trying to use your hand to shade it, moving the camera to different viewing angles to see if your images came out OK and to change camera settings, is a pain in the rear). I wanted my Hoodman. :-)

Newer camera models aren't quite as bad, but they can still be a royal pain in direct sunlight (and I've seen my share of complaints about the 7D display in sunlight).

With a DSLR, I'm not going to use the LCD *that* much anyway, to where it would be a big inconvenience to flip it open and shut.

Most of what I'd change often while shooting I'd see in the viewfinder (and you could just flip up the cover on the LCD shade when you need the display to see changes in settings or to review images). In bright sunlight, I can see where something like that would be real handy (even though it's not a perfect solution).

If I see any user reports, I'll let you know (and make sure to ask them if the outside doors are removable).

Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:02 PM   #8

the info on the screen is backlit and highly visible in sunlight

when previewing an image the histogram and all other data IS CLEARLY VISIBLE

since the lcd is only 200,000+ pix anyway there is really no point in having a crystal clear image

however, bolt on any additional 'stuff' you desire (if you drop or mishandle the camera as a result............................................ .....?)
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Gee, you say it's "highly visible in sunlight", but that's not my experience!

Moderator Note.

I accidently edited your thread, when I meant to quote you (above quote) and reply to it instead (I pressed the wrong button and started typing, after editing out some of what you wrote).

My apologies.You'll have totype your reply againif you want others to see it.

jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:17 PM   #10

the preview of the pic itself is very difficult to see clearly, but, since the resolution is only 200k, so what?!

the info data including the histogram IS clearly visible