Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:17 PM   #1

Looking into possibly purchasing a 5D. There's no review on this site yet, so I'm looking to the folks who may have one to offer any opinions. Also, I checked Minolta's site and there is no word of it having a remote as an option. Does it?

Trying to get all the info I can before plunking down the dough.
mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2005, 7:18 AM   #2

I would recommend it. I have had mine for a few weeks now and have been very happy with the results. I am only using the kit lens at the moment as I don't have any other lenses for it yet, but will get a decent macro lens and one of the 18-200 zooms.

It is comfy to hold and not too bulky. The battery seems to last forever and recharges quickly. The camera is quick to operate and exposure is generally spot on. The AF seems to be very quick, accurate on small objects and good in low light. The AS also works well allowing low light hand held photography.

A remote cord that plugs into a socket on the side of the camera is available in long and short forms.

If you want to see the pictures that I took with the 5D on holiday just after getting it, check out these sets:

Alpine scenes
Lake lucerne
Lucerne
Alpine flowers

They are of course, reduced / cropped from the originals and being new to me the camera was at very basic settings.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:38 AM   #3

All very nice shots. Hopefully there will be a review posted soon comparing it to the Canon Rebel XT /Nikon D50. I'm really on the fence at the moment, though I will say that the image stabilization is a great feature..
Old Oct 2, 2005, 5:33 PM   #4

Coming from a FZ20 I highly recommend it.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:27 PM   #5

Hey, Nooner.

I was reading a review of the 7D on dpreview.com and the comparisons shows that the noise reduction is quite aggressive to the point of losing detail. Do you find this to be a problem? I assume the 5D is pretty much the same?

As for the image stabilization, how does it stack up to the FZ-20? I'm more than happy with the FZ-20's image stabilization. Will I be equally happy with the 5D. I also see that the 7D has a $200 rebate on it, brining it pretty close to the cost of a 5D. Disregarding the size difference, do you think it's worth it to flip for the 7D or keep considering the 5D? Sorry about all the questions, but seeing how you came from the same place as I, I really value your opinion on this.

Thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:39 PM   #6

I think the 7D is an option if the size works for you. The viewfinder and LCD resolution seems to be better but the 5D suits me better for size and weight. I looked at the 350 and D50 too. The AS is great and allows all your lens to be stabilized, I shot an school assembly of my son's at 200m=350mm, F4, 800ISO, 1/50 sec. with no blur. The lack of detail at high ISO is not what the reviews seem to see. I use +2 camera sharpening or shoot RAW and they look great. The 5D has ISO from 100 to 3200 so with AS you have all kinds of options. The used lens market is still pretty good so I have gotten some great lens at small cost. Look at the KM forum at DPreview for more info as there are a lot more posts and pics etc. then you'll find here. Good luck:|

Oh yeah the Minolta colors are great especially the skintones. Auto WB works great too.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:52 PM   #7

Excellent info. Thanks, sir. Much appreciated.

One more question pertaining to lenses. Any particular brands to stay away from and any good lenses come to mind? I'm looking for an wide-to-low/mid tele and mid-tele to long-tele models. I see that B&H has some Tamron for sale. Are they any good?
Old Oct 2, 2005, 11:05 PM   #8

If you get the 5D, which I did, you can get a 18-70 as a kit. Circuit City has been selling them for $775 for the kit. Lot of camera for $$$ The 18-70 is a good lens much better then the 350/D50 18-55. Good range fast focus. Tamron's seem to work well with KM but the used Minolta lens offer good value and probably better IQ and focusing. Look at KEH and Ebay for used stuff but the prices are climbing so move quickly. I have a Minolta 70-210 F4 for $100 bucks that rocks with AS. A Minolta 100-300 in non APO is cheap and works well. Once again spend some time at DPreview using the search function and you'll find out lots about lenses and other areas of interest. You may just run across JimC there too.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 11:35 PM   #9

Excellent. Thanks again, nooner!! Good to see you again.

Old Oct 2, 2005, 11:38 PM   #10