Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:10 PM   #1

Hi, I see that there is a US$200 rebate for the 7D in the US.

Is there a similar rebate for Canadian purchasers of the 7D?

Also, since KM is out of the photo business in Canada, will it still be relatively easy to get warranty work done on this camera in Canada?

Lastly, can anyone comment on the reliability of this camera? It seems to be high-quality, and rugged construction. But I am worried about the Anti-Shake mechanism crapping out.

Thank you!

blyefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:39 AM   #2

Yes, you can still get warranty work done in Canada for Minolta equipment purchased in Canada - even if you buy it after the end of KMPI in Canada. I confirmed this with ZoomTron in Montreal yesterday.
Keith Hanlan In Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:54 AM   #3

what if it is purchased abroad? My 5D was bought online @ B&H and I asked them recently if I need to have the warranty card stamped and they said all I need is my invoice as a proof of purchase. But can I use it to get the camera serviced in Canada or do I need to send it to US?
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:33 AM   #4
Administrator

RacingManiac wrote:
Quote:
what if it is purchased abroad? My 5D was bought online @ B&H and I asked them recently if I need to have the warranty card stamped and they said all I need is my invoice as a proof of purchase. But can I use it to get the camera serviced in Canada or do I need to send it to US?
It's always been my understanding that KM in Canada requires the warranty card to be stamped if you purchaseda camera from a vendoroutside of Canada.

But, B&H is a reputable vendor, so they may know more about than I do (I can imagine lots of Canadian residents purchase cameras from them).

On the other hand, the representative you spoke to may not have been knowledgable in this area, assuming that it worked the same way "cross border" as it does inside of the U.S.

Many manufacturersrequire the invoice or receipt before they'll service a product under warranty. The warranty card is usually not needed at all if you're getting a camera serviced within the same country you purchased the camera in, when it's intended for sale in that country (and may not be accepted as proof of coverage, even if you've filled it out and sent it in). Your invoice or receipt is your proof of warranty coverage in that case.

Your best bet is probably to ask KM about it.

P.S. Some manufacturers won't service a camera at all if it's not intended for sale in the region you purchased it in, even if you are willing to pay them for the service. This is done, in part, to discourage the practice of grey market imports, bypassing the distribution network setup in a country, siince the Regional Distributors (for example, Nikon USA, Nikon Europe, Nikon Canada) act as their own profit centers.

Nikon USA and Nikon Canada have this policy (they won't service a camera intended for sale outside of the region they're in, even if you are willing to pay them for the service).

But, it's always been my understanding that KM in Canada will do it provided the vendor stamps the Warranty card for you. Again, I'd check with KM and see what they have to say about it.

This more liberal policy could even be a big part of why KM has made a decision to shut down Canada operations and go with a third party solution in the future for distribution and service of their products there (speculation on my part), since they don't make a profit on the cameras thatowners are buying from the U.S., yet servicing these cameras impacts their "bottom line". ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote