Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 4, 2005, 3:45 AM   #1

I have used an A2 for 18 months and have got used to the AS working really well. But I've noticed on the 5D that the AS warning light comes on in situations when it doesn't in the A2. It only seems to come on in Aperture priority mode - the reasoning I guess being that in Shutter mode you're presumed to know what you're doing. With the kit lens set on 70mm the warning flashes unless you're at 1/160 sec or better. Now, the general rule of thumb is that you should be able to achieve a reasonable photo at 1/100 with this lens. With AS I would expect to be able to achieve up to 2 stops better (as with the A2) and get a decent photo at 1/25.Anyone know what's going on.

I looked at the manual under trouble-shootingproblem "AS not working" and it says: symptom "AS light is blinking",cause "CCD setup problem, solution "turn camera off and on, remove battery, etc. I'm confused by this because it seems to be indicating that the AS warning is somehow detecting the efficiency of the AS, whereas I would guess that it's simply hard-coded - but who knows?

The little bar scale indicates how much you're shaking the camera and never goes below 1 bar. This seems to be independent of the blinking warning. Holding the camera rock steady doesn't placate the warnig light at all. Is the 7D like this?

I've also noticed that the shutter release on the 5D is very stiff - in fact all the controls are much stiffer than they should be - which could add to shake problems.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:11 AM   #2

Sounds to me that you have a problem - the AS blocks on my 5D only come on IF you shake the camera - with iit still they don't show. As for the shutter release being stiff, definitely not a problem on mine - suggest you contact KLM support.
BartonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 2:09 PM   #3

The first block on the antishake scale is always on in my 5D if AS is operational. I think that this just indicates that AS is on.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 3:50 AM   #4

I'm talking about the flashing warning light - a picture of a little camera. With a 70mm lens it flashes until the exposure is 1/160 secor below (when in aperture mode). Is yours the same? Thanks.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 5:06 PM   #5

your camera is working perfectly

1/focal length is the MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE shutter speed to avoid blur

the flashing hand/camera is merely a warning/suggestion, it is independant of the AntiShake indicator bars

try a hand held shot with the AS blinking and one w/o (by adjusting aperture) - you will be amazed how accurate the warning is
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 2:39 AM   #6

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
your camera is working perfectly

1/focal length is the MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE shutter speed to avoid blur

Yes, I know what the rule of thumb is. But a 70mm lens (105mm eff) should in general mean a reasonable shot can be taken at about 1/100 sec WITHOUT image stabilisation. KM claim their AS gives between 2 and 3 stops, therefore a reasonabe shot should be possible at 1/25 sec. See the comment on this in Steve's review of the 5D- that's exactly what it says. The 70mm kit lens can be used at 1/25 sec. It makes no mention of the blinking AS warning.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:56 AM   #7

the flashing hand/camera is merely a warning/suggestion, it is independant of the AntiShake indicator bars
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:16 AM   #8

Found out the answer on another forum. Apparently the bit in the Trouble Shooting section refers to the AS "scale" flashing - not the little camera symbol which is just a waste of precious VF space. When the CCD cradle is kaput the little 3 bar scale flashes. Themanual is not very clear.