Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:36 AM   #11

I have a sunpak 383

Will it work with the hot shoe or do I still have to get a adapter of some sort?

I seen the post above but got confused.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:37 AM   #12
Administrator

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
I have a sunpak 383

Will it work with the hot shoe or do I still have to get a adapter of some sort?
No,it won't work without an adapter (the hotshoes on the Maxxum models are non-standard). But, you can get an adapter that converts it into an ISOstandard hot shoe.

I don't know what the trigger voltage limits are with this setup (some cameras can be damaged with higher trigger voltages). I'd need to do some digging.

But, I think the Sunpak 383 model has a trigger voltage of only 6 volts (I've seen this number reported before, but you may want to make sure all of them work that way to be safe).

Konica Minolta FS1100 at B&H

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 12:59 PM   #13

Do you know the maximum trigger voltage that can be used on the 5D.

How do I check my flash?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 1:05 PM   #14

Hi Jim C & RP 33!

To my eruditeness...the KM-7D & 5D allow till maximum 400 mv trigger voltage!

So the Sunpak 383 it's 100% safe!

AS Jim C already wrote you, RP 33 you MUST buy the adaptor FS-1100.

Personally I have one made by "Unomat"...which was received 25 years ago together with the "Macro" flash that I bought at that time, from such German brand Unomat...for free, the flash unit passed away years ago...the adaptor survive..., so; now serves me well.

Concerning how you check...load with fresh batteries, turn ON your unit; & using a reliable DMM check with the Red Cord pointer the "Hot' central contact & with the Black Cord pointer the "Ground/Earth" side contact at DC settings...this will show you exactly the trigger voltage.

I really hope RP 33 that you comprehend my post...it's really very simple...but NOT necessarily...as any KD- DSLR can receive till 400 mv trigger voltage, & your Sunpak 383 is well below that!!!

Happy new 2006 year coming to both of you!

Greetings,

Alex 007 :|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 1:29 PM   #15
Administrator

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jim C & RPP 33!

To my eruditeness...the KM-7D & 5D allow till maximum 400 mv trigger voltage!
Alex:

Have you seen any official confirmation of the hot shoe voltage limits from KM?

The specs for the PC Sync Port on the 7D show a 400 volt or lower specification.

But, I have not seen any specs for the hot shoe trigger voltage limits for either the 5D or 7D. It's probably isolated (but, you never know about these things). ;-)

That's one reason I'd be hesitant to try using the FS1100with my old Vivitar, without confirming the limits with KM.

I wouldn't worry about a Sunpak 383. From what I've been able to find out, it is usually 7.2 volts or less (so it's probably within tolerances, even if the hotshoe is not rated the same as the 7D's PC Sync Port).

Old Dec 24, 2005, 4:12 PM   #16

I haven't seen any info about the 5D taking 400v. I'd be very leery about trying.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 5:00 PM   #17
Administrator

nooner wrote:
Quote:
I haven't seen any info about the 5D taking 400v. I'd be very leery about trying.
I've seen this question asked and unanswered on other forums in the past (hot shoe trigger voltage rating).

So, I'd also be leery about attaching any flash with a trigger voltage much over 6 volts, unless KM said it was OK (and I think I'd want it in writing, just in case some new customer service rep is just guessing).

Just because the PC Sync Port on the 7D is rated for trigger voltages up to 400 volts, doesn't mean the hot shoes on the 7D or the 5D are designed for higher trigger voltages.

Who wants to try first? aranoid:

I think I'll wait for KM to say yea or nay before I try something likemy oldVivitar 273 on it (even thoughI've already got one, complete with the optional "soft light/bounce diffuser" kit).

I've never measured it's trigger voltage. But, I've seen it reported at 290 volts on one of the sites tracking these types of things, andI'm in no hurry tofry my camera.;-)

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:46 PM   #18

Dear Jim!

You are 100% right...the owners manual write on the PC contact issue...BUT...BUT...as the KM 5D ONLY have "Hot Shoe"...!, so I conjecture that ALSO will accept the same 400 mv trigger voltage...IF NOT...explain to us the "WHY"...is writting in the manual that with the PCT-100 it's usable? OR...OR...inside such adaptor are some electronic device that lower the trigger voltage for safe use on the hot shoe...I alredy wrote to KM support people on this matter...till yet NO reply??? So busy???

BUT... again...any flash till 12 mv trigger voltage (As Nikon says), here:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

for my apprehend it's 500% safe.

OK my dear Jim..your very old Vivitar has a much higher trigger voltage...so BEWARE...to use it on any Nikon/Canon/KM bodies however on a Fuji S9000/9500 CAN BE UTILIZE!

The Fuji accept on the hot shoe till 400 mv trigger voltage strobes!

I hope; that my response will be fully comprehended or appreciated!

My best wishes to all of you!

Regards,

Old Dec 25, 2005, 7:36 AM   #19
Administrator

I've seen someone else say that they asked KM about it (months ago), receiving a canned reply letting them know that someone would be in touch.

AFIK, the poster never got a response (based on the last post after a week had passed, and that was months ago).

So, let us know if you get a reply from KM.

I've got a feeling that only the engineers in Japan know (since I don't see this in the specs anywhere).

But, someone at a regional office could probably figure it out if the service manuals have a schematic.

Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:04 AM   #20

Dear Jim!

I also receive the "Electronic Reply", that soon our support team will be in touch...STILL waiting!

However...I have my feelings, that till 12 mv trigger voltage all will be fine...so as my 3 "Centrally Contact" strobes, are all less that 10 mv trigger voltage...I'm SAFE!

But...as you so kindly ask me...as soon as I will receive from KM a response I will post it!

All my best wishes!!!

Cheers,