Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:49 AM   #21
Administrator

Alex:

From what I've been able to find out, the FS1100 will not provide any voltage isolation. So, you would most likely damage your camera trying an older flash with a high trigger voltage via this adapter.

I'm basing this assumption on a modification to the FS1100 that was posted by Pete Ganzel on Pbase.com here (the modification gives it the ability to use flashes with higher trigger voltages, implying that it doesn't have this protection circuitry in it from the manufacturer):

http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/fs1100_flash_isolator

As for the PCT-100, the documentation implies that it does have protection built into the adapter for using older strobes. That's probably why they charge so much for it compared to the FS1100. :lol:

Quote:
The electronics inside the PCT-100 also prevent any possible damage to the camera from high voltage trigger signals from older studio flash units
Konica Minolta Photo World Accessories Descriptions

So, from my point of view, attaching an older flash with higher trigger voltages via it's hotshoe using the FS1100 adapter would be a very bad idea, unless it was modified, or used in combination with something like a Wein Safe Sync. ;-)

I'd also like to see KM give specific trigger voltage limits for the FS1100, since some flashes may be "borderline", depending on the camera's design. For example, some manufacturers spec 6 volts, some say 12 (and everyone seems to debate the ISO standard), and I have not seen any specs for the 5D or 7D hotshoe with this adapter.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 12:59 PM   #22

Dear Jim!

First of all thank you very heart full for your information...I run & check my 3 flashes with my dependable Fluke 77 DMM, & found that my Metz 32MZ-3 exhibit 5 mv trigger voltage, very close to my originally Minolta 5400 HSS film body strobe 4.7 as indicated...

5400HS Yes 4.7V, measured by Hardeep

So...my ample mutual sense...assures me; that I MUST be loyal to my Metz strobe...for Safe!

My others two ones...don't will be use with my acquired 5D till a reply from Minolta customer support guys.

Again, my dear Jim..a lot of thanks for your noble effort & information that you provide me.

Cheers,

Alex 007:|

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:44 PM   #23

Hi Jim!

Now I decided to be more cute...! I sent a new enquire to Japan...I hope that will be some response sooner or later...!?

Here is a copy of my enquire for your file!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Dec 26, 2005 7:38 AM
Subject: KONICAMINOLTA Customer Contact:Thank you for your inquiry No.00007119

This will acknowledge receipt of your inquiry.
We will come back to you as soon as possible.
Thank you for your patience.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Date : 2005/12/26
Inquiry : Other Digital Camera Specification

Question :

Hello!

During our forum in Stevedigicams, on Minolta
DSLR site...a large of members want to know
exactly how much mv trigger voltage can be
take the hot shoe on your 7D & 5D bodies?

Thank you so much for your noble effort!

Sincerely,

ALEX!
Konica Minolta (Japan) will be closed from December 29, 2005
to January 4, 2006.
During this period all of our operation, including Customer
Service, will be suspended.
Please note that it may take several days to reply to your
inquiry.

Thank you for your kind understanding in advance.
This is an auto-generated message to your E-mail address.
Please do not reply to this E-mail address, and do not
forward this message.
http://konicaminolta.com

Cheers,

Hi Jim!

From Q&A Minolta US!

Question: Why can't old-type flashes be fully used? Is there any way to use it? Answer: The camera performs automatic flash control by reflected-light of pre-flash light.
Therefore only flash units corresponding to pre-flash function of this model are available for flash control.
An incompatible Minolta Program flash/Minolta Maxxum flash unit always fires fully; it is necessary to set the flash in manual mode, and the camera in M mode to set the aperture according to the adequate object distance. Generally guide No. and aperture and object distance have the following relation and adequate exposure is obtainable:

Camera sensitivity: ISO 100 Guide No./ F No. = subject distance(m)
(Please refer to the instruction manual of Flash about the guide No.)
*Please set the camera sensitivity other than AUTO. (When setting at Auto, it is not suitable as the sensitivity changes.)
*When the camera sensitivity is ISO 200/400/800/1600/3200, decrease the exposure at 1EV/2EV/3EV/4EV/5EV from the F No. calculated by the above relational formula.

Please note the above-mentioned is only reference; adjust the distance and aperture to get adequate exposure after test shooting. (It is convenient to check by using the histogram function.)
Other incompatible flash units except Minolta Program flash/Minolta Maxxum flash units cannot be used . ( These flashes will not fire.)

So...I must wait for Japan's expertise response!

Cheers,

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 2:55 PM   #24

:?hi:

I´m dhaniel I recentlyentered to this forum, you know i bougth a 5D minolta maxxum but i wonder if the lcd screen shows añy image before its taken, like a compact digital camera shows.

tankyou and regards.
dhaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 5:00 PM   #25
Administrator

There is no live preview with Digital SLRmodels like the Maxxum 5D. A DSLR has a mirror in the way the light path to the sensor, only moving when the photo is taken.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote