Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 5, 2005, 8:05 PM   #1

Received my 7D and Vertical Grip VC-7D today. Installed and turned on camera and Grip. Camera functions work fine with all on camera buttons. None of the functions work on the Grip even with it on. Am I missing something that needs turning on in the camera menu or is the VC-7D bad? Have read instructions and tried to reset camera but still no functions from VC-7D.

Any help would be appreciated as I got this from B&H and they are closed for most of the month for religious holidays. I have a wedding to do this weekend and need it bad. Tommy
tmorris51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2005, 8:26 PM   #2
Administrator

Are you using known good, high capacity NiMH Batteries in it, and are they fully charged?

You may want to try removing and reinstalling it in case you've got a bad connection, and check the contacts to make sure they look clean.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:05 PM   #3

Both camera and grip are new. Just unpacked today. 2 fully charged Minolta brand NP-400 batterys new with camera and grip. Tommy
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:31 PM   #4
Administrator

Well, it's designed to work with either one or two NP400's. So, it should work with 1 or 2 (and I'veseen comments from others saying that it workseither way).

Some users leave 6 AA's (high capacity NiMH) in it instead. There have been some occasional reports of problems with the grip connection and some bad grips causing odd camera problems, and if it's not something simple with the connectors, you may have a lemon.

I'd check the contacts to make sure they look OK (batteries, grip contacts inside and out), and even wipe off the battery contacts good (even if they look shiney, since they're new).

Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:43 PM   #5

Both batteries fit into the grip. The head of the VC-7D fits into the camera where the battery goes. Tommy
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:52 PM   #6
Administrator

You may want to try just one battery at a time in case you've got a bad one impacting the grip functions, and use everything on it to make sure you haven't got some oxidation under a contact causing a problem.

I can't find anyone that's had similar symptons from checking forum posts on it (camera works fine but grip doesn't). Most of the time when I've seen owners report a grip problem, it also impacts the camera.

Perhaps some 7D owners with the VC-7D will see this and offer some suggestions.

Old Oct 7, 2005, 4:51 PM   #7

Received new VC-7D today and that cured the problem. Thanks for all the help.

Tommy