Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:45 AM   #1

I was trying to figure out how the kelvin white balance settings work on the Maxxum 7D...no luck.

Is there any online tutorial? Or does someone have the patience to actually write out and explain it to me?

Thanks!
sajdahgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:16 AM   #2

What exactly are you trying to figure out?

Is it the actual degrees that you don't understand, or just when to use them?

Light emits a color cast depending on the lighting source. For example a typical indoor light bulb, called tungsten, gives off a yellow cast. Our eyes automatically adjust for this, and whites still appear white.

Unfortunately, this is not so with a camera. Whites, in our example, appear yellow due to the color of the light. What we have to do is balance the white, and based on that theory, the other colors will fall into place.

Now to solve this problem, the color of the light source is measured in degrees on the Kelvin scale. By telling our camera the temp( or degrees)of the light, the camera can now compensate for the color cast so whites will appear white.

The 7D has generic settings for tungsten, daylight, fluorescent, etc.. which can be selected to the appropriate light source being used, and work quite well, but if you know the actual color temperature of the light source, this can be entered in the custom setting of the 7D...I love that feature. For example, you are shooting outdoors on a sunny day. The "daylight" setting, 5500deg, will be good here, but if you had a color meter that actually reads the exact temperature of the light, say it's 5350, this can be manually entered on the 7D.

I don't want to go further until I understand what exactly you want to know. And if it's over my head, probably is, maybe someone else can help.
1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:40 AM   #3

Actually I had no idea what the thing was about, so I am glad for your help....so now i need to buy a meter that tells the the temp of the light in the room....cool.

Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:45 AM   #4

do you know of any light meter that can tell me the color temperature (brand/price)?

thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:07 AM   #5
Administrator

Most photographers aren't going to go to that much trouble.

The camera has the ability to take a reading from a white card (using the lighting you're shooting in), then it can store this value and use it for white balance.

This lets it have a known reference when it reads what is supposed to be white in the lighting you're in (or you can use neutral gray card instead) and it can adjust your images for this lighting.

Check your manual for how to use "custom white balance".

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:27 AM   #6

ok cool. ill check that out!

thanks guys!

so what would be the point of the kelvin settings....hmmm.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:27 PM   #7
Administrator

sajdahgraphics wrote:
Quote:
so what would be the point of the kelvin settings....hmmm.
So you can set the color temperature to the approximate temperature of the lighting (or a known temperature for the lighting you're in), versus needing to take the time to set the custom white balance for the lighting. But if you're going to be shooting in the same lighting often, then I'd use custom white balance and keep it stored for later use. Take and keep a photo of the card you use, too if you're going to be in the same lighting often (some raw converters can use it to adjust white balance later).

Some users may also want to use it to give their images a warmer or cooler look, depending on their preferences in a photo and what it will be used for.

You can also shoot in raw and more easily adjust the white balance later. But, if you shoot it correctly to begin with, then you'll have that as a starting point for any corrections you may need (since the camera's white balance is stored in the raw files and can be used by many raw converters).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:41 PM   #8
NHL

sajdahgraphics wrote:
Quote:
do you know of any light meter that can tell me the color temperature (brand/price)?

thanks!
Minolta of course !!! :-) :lol: :G
http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/...etail=Features

... as for the price, if you have to ask

BTW you can also do white balance with a grey card (since it's neutral) - Getting a grey card also help you get accurate exposure
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:40 PM   #9

ok cool. a light meter that costs more than my camera lol.

so....what the heck is a grey card (or white card).
Old Oct 12, 2005, 5:36 PM   #10
NHL

sajdahgraphics wrote:
Quote:
ok cool. a light meter that costs more than my camera lol.

so....what the heck is a grey card (or white card).
FYI - http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct...E%20152%207795

and how: http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...gray-card.html

some more: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...te-balance.htm

and in case you need to fix it: http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_65/essay.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote