Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:14 PM   #1

On my A2 I had a macro switch, but for he life of me I can't figure out how to put my 7D into macro mode. I have the AF 28-100 lens.

Read all through the manual...nothing mentioned.

Thanks,

Bill
BillS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:44 PM   #2

Your A2 had a macro mode because the lens was built into the body. On DSLR's, you will need to purchase a lens that has the Macro mode on it. It's not part of the 7D body.

The best and cheapest lens I have found that works well is the old 28-85mm with a macros switch. You can usualy pick up a lens like this under $100 used.

Ed
1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:01 PM   #3

Thanks, but I'm still confused. On the top of my lens it says AF Zoom 0.48m/1.6ft MACRO.

So are they saying that my closest focal point is 1.6ft at any zoom position?

Thanks,

Bill

BillS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 3:42 AM   #4

That's about it. It's just saying that it'll focusdown to 1.6ft (don't kow if that's at the long end or short end - you'll have to experiment) and that's close enough to be called "macro". There are no buttons to push as in the A2, where the macro is enabled by a different focusing mechanism - i.e. the rear elements move. You'll find the macro is about as "macro" as the A2 - about 1:4. If you want true macro (i.e. 1:1) you'll need a proper macro lens like the 100mm f2.8.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote