Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:24 PM   #11

UPDATE: I ordered the 5D kit and the 3600 flash today. The flash is backordered for 7-10 days (didn't notice that when placing the order), so I'll have to wait a couple weeks for my new toy. I'm going to hold off on other lenses until I've had a chance to play with the kit lens and figure out what I really need...

Thanks for all the responses.

I have a feeling this is going to be a never-ending money pit :?
Gecko85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:35 PM   #12
Administrator

Gecko85 wrote:
Quote:
UPDATE: I ordered the 5D kit and the 3600 flash today. The flash is backordered for 7-10 days (didn't notice that when placing the order), so I'll have to wait a couple weeks for my new toy. I'm going to hold off on other lenses until I've had a chance to play with the kit lens and figure out what I really need...
Congratulations. Some vendors will ship a partial order. So, you may want to check with yours to see how they handle it.

Quote:
I have a feeling this is going to be a never-ending money pit :?
Look on the bright side. No film processing costs. ;-)

Also,some users may never want/need anything more than a standard zoom (using a flash when needed for lower light condtions).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:47 AM   #13

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15494442

Photography Monthly sure gave it a good score....though I've not seen the article....
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 1:39 PM   #14

RacingManiac wrote:
Quote:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15494442

Photography Monthly sure gave it a good score....though I've not seen the article....
Very curious they'd rate the Pentax *ist DL higher than the *ist DS (88% vs. 86%.) I had looked at both extensively (the DS was my second choice behind the 5D...I just wish the 5D had the same battery system.) The DL has not high speed flash synch (the DS does), uses mirrors instead of a prism for the viewfinder, has 3 point auto focus instead of 11, does 3 RAW/5 JPG in burst mode, versus 5 RAW/8 JPG. Basicaly the DL is a lower-end version of the DS, but with a slightly larger LCD. They both use the same CCD. I don't see how in the world the DL could possibly rate higher...

As for the 5D, one of the negatives they listed was the menu system was not very friendly. That goes against every other review I've read. I've heard nothing but great things about the ease of use of the menu system. Curious. ..

Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:29 PM   #15

Today was a great day! I got confirmation (and tracking number) that my 5D has shipped.

Just as good: I was looking around on ebay for a Minolta AF 70-210 f/4 lens...Found a few, and noticed past auctions were going for anywhere from $100 to about $160. Most closer to $100-$120. In my searching, I found a package with a Maxxum 5000 camera, 35-70 lens, and the 70-210 lens I was looking for. It also had a Sakar 130 AF Flash and a camera bag. It had very few bids and was getting ready to end...I think the title wasn't written very well...Anyway, I won the auction for $176. I'll keep the 70-210 and put the rest back up on ebay. As long as I get at least $50-$75 I'll be about even, and anything above that is pure gravy! I could end up getting the lens for around $50-$75 after all is said and done. Sweet...
Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:35 PM   #16
Administrator

That's how I found a good deal on my 50mm (it was just as cheap buying a package including a camera and a flash as the lens was selling for alone).

So, shhhhhhhh. Let's not tell anyone until we make sure we get all of the lenses we want. Otherwise everyone will be searching the camera packages too. ;-) :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:38 PM   #17

Oh, right. I meant to say that I *tried* to get a good deal on a camera package, but got outbid and it ended up going for $300...or something.

JimC wrote:
Quote:
That's how I found a good deal on my 50mm (it was just as cheap buying a package including a camera and a flash as the lens was selling for alone).

So, shhhhhhhh. Let's not tell anyone until we make sure we get all of the lenses we want. Otherwise everyone will be searching the camera packages too. ;-) :-)