Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 18, 2005, 6:28 PM   #1

Am still deciding between the Canon 350D and the Minolta 5D.

I have read in Steve's conclusion in his Reviewthat in-camera processing is available for the Canon.

However, there is no information with regards to the KM 5D. Is any in-camera processing available??

Also, I am interested in the concept / comment that image quality for an entry level camera is likely to be more "punchy" as there is less likelihood of post camera processing.

Would these two cameras be considered Entry level??

Thanks for any help,

Basia

Basia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2005, 6:42 PM   #2

Unless you are shooting in RAW, all cameras do some sort of in-camera processing. Even when you are shooting in RAW you can set certain in-camera parameters for sharpness, contrast, saturation, etc.

And yes, both cameras are considered "entry level" DSLR's...that doesn't mean they are cheap though.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:02 AM   #3
Administrator

Basia wrote:
Quote:
Also, I am interested in the concept / comment that image quality for an entry level camera is likely to be more "punchy" as there is less likelihood of post camera processing.
IMO, both of these models do have more "punchy" images than you'll find in some of the higher priced DSLR models.

They are also adjustable to some extent. If you look through the record menus in the cameras reviews here, you'll see that you can adjust things like contrast, sharpness and contrast (higher or lower as desired).

I just got a KM 5D, and I'll probably set mine to lower levels for these parameters when shooting JPEG. That's because if you have too much contrast (even though it adds more 'punch", it can destroy real detail in shadows and highlightswhen it makes darker areas darker and lighter areas lighter.

Ditto for sharpening (which is an optical illusion). It works by looking for edges in images and increases contrast at those edges to make them appear sharper (which can destroy some of the fine detail at those transitions). That can also apply to saturation (when it's too high, you can get color bleeding between pixels during the camera's processing of the image data).

So, for the most detail retention, with the least artifacts (halos around high contrast edges, etc.), it's best to keep these parameters set lower (especially if you plan on larger prints where image defects will be more noticeable).

So, manufacturers make decisions on how much "punch" to apply during theirprocessing of the data from the sensor, with entry level models typically having more "punch" compared to hgher priced models (which sometimes require more post processing of the JPEG images to get the same "punch" using software.

These higher end models typically retain more real detail (versus perceived detail), by allowing the user to carefully fine tune the images later (adjusting things like shadows and highlights, saturation, and sharpening).

Look at the images from the KM 5D here in the review samples. IMO, they've got a lot of punch directly from the camera (even though the camera was set to normal for things like sharpening, contrast and saturation).

At higher settings, you'd see more "punch". The Canon Digital Rebel XT also has a lot of punch directly from it's images compared to models like the EOS-20D. It uses a higher sharpening setting (+1) by default. Again, you can adjust both of these models to some extent.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:14 AM   #4
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
If you look through the record menus in the cameras reviews here, you'll see that you can adjust things like contrast, sharpness and contrast (higher or lower as desired).
I stand corrected. I looked through our review of the KM 5D, and we didn't cover these settings. But, this model allows you to adjust contrast, sharpness and saturation in the P,A, S and M modes, with 5 levels of adjustment for each parameter (-2, -1, 0, +1, +2). This camera defaults to the middle (Normal or 0) setting for each (which is how they were set for the review samples).

The scene modes (Portrait, Landscape, etc.) don't have these adjustments (they are already optmizing some of these settings for you depending on the scene type).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:46 PM   #5

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply in such a helpful way. I did see some beautiful sample touristy and architectural shots from a KM 5D and they were taken with +1 for saturation, sharpness and contrast. They were just about jumping from the screen!!

A final quick question, one can set these settings to last, I presume?? You do not mean that they go back to default 0 0 0 every time one powers down. Certainly, in my Canon ixus 700 one can save these settings, until one wants to change them. But, unfortunately the only option there is normal, vivid, etc, no choice re sharpness.It is incredibly useful to realise that the scene modes can't be adjusted manually.

I am leaning very much towards buying theKM 5D, the onlyreason I am dithering is that with my small hands, I find the Canon more comfortable. Also, my film SLR was the Dynax 5, which was a fantastic camera both in size and quality. And, it is a pity I cannot have the best of both worlds going digital.

Basia
Basia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:54 PM   #6

The settings last used are saved on shutdown.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote