Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:12 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Sooooo chuffed.... after reading everything in here and on DPreview, just got back from the shop with my shiny new 5D...... charged battery for about 1 1/2 hours and it is showing full and everything is fine....... apart from the flash. Used it once.... no problem. Second time the screen goes out when you 'pop' it up, the camera will not focus then after about 20 seconds when pressing the shutter half way you get 'err' in the viewfinder.

Any suggestions. Does it need to go back, or am I missing something?

Apart from that minor problem, I'm liking my new toy (just moved from Dimage 7 after just over 4 years).

Thanks,

Mark.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:36 PM   #2
Administrator

That's a bummer.

You may want to try doing a camera reset, in case something got messed up somewhere in memory.

There is more than one reset menu choice. The one that probably resets everything to factory defaults is on the third page of the Setup menu (Wrench Icon).

I'd also make sure to remove and insert the battery, CF card, and remount the lens (and always remount alens with the camera turned off).

Sometimescontacts may have a bit of oxdation (or a coating on them to prevent oxidation)that prevents a good connection the first time around (although that's arare problem, a bad connection can often be at fault for odd problems).

I'd make sure to try all buttons, dials and switches, just to make sure one isn't sticking somewhere or not making a good connection (not broken inyet). Don't miss the MF/AF switch and DOF preview button on the front.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:02 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks Jim.

Unfortunately still no good. Without the flash up it focuses fine, but as soon as it is put up then it seems to throw a wobbly :whack:!!!!

Will take it back tomorrow.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:16 PM   #4

Don't fret!! I waited a long time before I could get my 7D, and when I finally got my new toy, it had a blue pixel(dead pixel) in the screen. I was so anxious to use it, but new I should exchange it, which the store did gladly. I've had it now for 6 months and no problems. This was one time I was glad I didn't purchase it online. I had my new camera next day.

It can happen to any camera, any brand, anytime.

Ed
1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 5:04 PM   #5
Administrator

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately still no good. Without the flash up it focuses fine, but as soon as it is put up then it seems to throw a wobbly :whack:!!!!
Very odd. By default, the camera will attempt to use the flash for AF if it's up (short flash bursts act as an Autofocus assist with it).

You might try turning it off to see if that fixes the AF problem (you can turn off flash AF assist under one of the menus somewhere).

That's probably not going to fix your camera. But, I'd be curious if a broken flash is what's causing your error trying to focuswith it up (and turningoff this AF Assist feature may be a way to tell).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 8:00 PM   #6
Super Moderator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
You might try turning it off to see if that fixes the AF problem (you can turn off flash AF assist under one of the menus somewhere).

That's probably not going to fix your camera. But, I'd be curious if a broken flash is what's causing your error trying to focuswith it up (and turningoff this AF Assist feature may be a way to tell).

Thanks for all your help Jim. I just gave that a try, but still nothing. It is strange that everything else works.

If you are interested my first close-up shots can be found in.... yes, you guessed it..... 'landscapes'.... no scrub that..... 'close-ups'!!!!! :?