Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 25, 2005, 3:35 PM   #1

Hi! This is my first post in this forum... I have been reading this and other forums for weeks trying to figure out the best camera for me. Finally the agony is over! I got my Dynax 5D today and couldnt be more happy with it! First impressions are that it feels soooo good in my hands. The interface and the controls are great, I could start shooting in a couple of minutes, even thoug it was years since I shoot with my old SRL! It looks so much better when you see it for real, and I like how fast it responds when im using it. Im happy I didnt go for a fuji S9000 or an uncomfortable hyped Canon rebelsmhebel... only problem is that I went over my budget bigtime and I will have to eat dust and dirt until next pay.

Soo, for my newbie questions. In the manual it states that I should always use the camera with a fully recharged battery when I transfer picures to the computer. How important is that? What is the worst that can happend if the battery dies? And must it really be fully charged? Are there other things to look out for... what are the most common newbie mistakes to do that can damage your equipment?

Thanks for this forum and thank you to all that have made me convinced the 5D was the best camera for me.

Biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2005, 4:41 PM   #2

Worst that can happen if the battery goes dead while the camera is accessing it is that you lose all you're pictures from the card. I doubt anything else would happen.

And welcome to the forums...
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 4:47 PM   #3

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2005, 5:09 PM   #4

Best way to avoid that problem is to use a card reader instead of downloading directly from the camera. That way, you can just turn the camera off altogether, and less chance of mishandling the camera next to the PC, etc..
Jacqueaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 5:36 PM   #5

Good sugestion...I might buy one when I get my next pay. But then again I really need a new tripod and a new flash. And I think an AC adapter is first on my list, at least right now when Im just experimenting wiith my new camera.

...as a sidenote, im just starting to fiddle with my shots that I transfered to the computer. Wow I found out that RAW editing in Dimage Master Lite is Awfully slow. I have 3GHz and 1 GB ram and a Geforce 6800GT. Is it supposed to be this slow? When I make changes updates takes a couple of seconds. What can I do to improve workflow and speed with RAW files?

Old Oct 27, 2005, 2:59 AM   #6

If you're just downloading the pictures when the battery dies you won't lose anything. You'll just have to recharge and carry on from where it left off - no harm done. But you're better off with a card reader. The 5D is very slow at donloading because it's just standard speed USB2. If you get a card (like a Sandisk 12 in 1) it'll download about 20 times quicker.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:24 PM   #7

Raw work flow is much faster in "Raw Shooter Essentials Premium"

http://www.pixmantec.com/

The RSE 2005 is the freebie but doesn't support the KM5D. However , if you do a search on the web, there are a few comments on how to fix (Hex editor) this small road bump. I did it and it works just fine.

RSEP 2006 is the way to go. Nice extra tools and a easy to understand workflow. Help section is fantastic for those like me who never had a digital camera.

I love the KM5D and so will you.
Astronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:35 PM   #8

You can find card readers in most stores that carry digital cameras for about 20D US.
Astronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:32 AM   #9

Buy a card reader - too easy to knock the camera off a crowded computer desk - well mine's crowded:-).
Bill
bilzmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:37 PM   #10

I use Photoshop Elements to edit my RAW pictures. You do need the free download / upgrade version 3.2 from Adobe to recognise the minolta 5D Raw files. I have a AMD 3500 with 1 gig ram, works great for me! I also waited and bought the 5D, very nice DSLR! I've always had Minolta SLR's, but was looking at the Canon's...glad I waited.
ww2buff is offline   Reply With Quote