Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 27, 2005, 3:47 PM   #1

I´m thinking to buya telephoto or zoom 500mm lens for my 7D, a good one for less than 1000$?.
belibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2005, 5:01 PM   #2

Konica Minolta REFLEX AF 500mm f8 for $550 new

(will act like a 35mm 750 !)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 6:29 PM   #3

I heard that normal lens is better than the reflex one.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 5:58 AM   #4

a 'normal' 600mm f4lens of good quality is about$7000

the minolta reflex 500 f8 is optically excellent and quick to auto focus!

if you need this much tele you will need a VERY fast shutter speed, i have not found the f8 to be a limiting factor when birding

the only limitations to the reflex are: 1) fixed f8, 2) characteristic donut shaped out of focus highlights (many times a good effect)

a sample shot:

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:23 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 6:22 AM   #5

One image better than one thousand words, thanks. I will buy it.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 8:19 AM   #6

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
the minolta reflex 500 f8 is optically excellent and quick to auto focus!

I bought one from B&H a few weeks ago. It'sa bargain and a definite keeper. This is the only AF mirror lens made and the AF works even in low light. Fixed aperture isn't a problem.

Mirrors have had a bad press because there are some pretty shoddy ones out there. The Minolta is one of the best and the pictures bear comparison withany conventionally constructed lenses. It's sharp and has no vignetting (not on 5D/7D anyway). It's very light and relatively small, so it doesn't look likethe super-telephoto that it is. This can be an advantage - people don't like having great zooms pointed at them.

Also remember that mirrors don't suffer from chromatic aberrations like glass lenses.This is because they magnify by reflecting light rather than refracting it. Light of different wavelengthsis refracted a different amount through a glass lens. Howeverall wavelengths arereflected at exactly the same angle.

Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 9:20 AM   #7
Administrator

The out of focus areas can look very strange with a mirror lens (donut shapes). It may not be a problem with some photos. But,keep this in mind, depending on your use for the images.

You get alens that'ssmaller and lighter by using a mirror lens like this one. So, there are pros and cons to going this route.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 9:27 AM   #8

what about macro?, Which lens have I to buy?
Old Oct 28, 2005, 9:44 AM   #9
Administrator

belibeli wrote:
Quote:
what about macro?, Which lens have I to buy?
It depends on what you're taking photos of,how much of the frame you need it to fill, and how close you want to be to your subject.

For very small subjects, a 1:1 Macro lens is better. Macro lenses are usually rated this way. 1:1 means Lifesize (fill the frame with something the size of the film or sensor). But, not everyone needs a lens this good. It depends on whether your taking photos of a flower or a bug). :-)

Some other lenses with a "macro" designation may only be able to focus close enough tofill the frame with a subject 4 times as large as the film or sensor (for example, a 1:4 Macro rating).

I'd start a new thread about Macro lenses, so that others can offer suggestions on their favorites based on what you want to photograph. You'll probably hear the Minolta 50mm f/2.8 Macro and 100mm f/2.8 Macro suggested a lot.

Third party manufacturers make some outstanding Macro lenses, too. For example, theTamronSP90mm f/2.8 Di Macro is a popular choice.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:01 AM   #10

These are all minolta lens I have:

zoom 17-35 mm, zoom 28-75 mm, 50mm 1,4, zoom 35-105mm, zoom 70-210mm, zoom 75-300mm. the only one with macro capability is the las one, but I think I need a good oneto complet my kit after buying the 500mm.