Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 7, 2005, 1:02 PM   #1

Recently bought a 5d and am using a sigma 28-200 ASP lense. I can't for some reason get a photo that is sharply focused or has good colors (seem to be washed out). All photos require lots of contrast correction and or enhancement. I have tried different focal lengths and different levels of quality from standard to extra fine with very little success. I have tried tripod and turning AS on and off. Nothing.

I used the lense on a film camera just recently and picture were just fine so I don't think it's a problem with the lense.

The lense seems to focus fine in that the viewfinder is showing a sharp focus and even when I manually focus I get the same poor result.

The same subjects photographed with an olympus 7504mp are sharp and colorful.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
steveng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2005, 1:17 PM   #2

Lens will affect the sharpness of the pic, but as a rule of thumb, D-SLR pic out of the camera(Jpg or unsharpened RAW), will be softer than their P&S counterpart(at D-SLR's default setup that is)as image processing are reduced in-camera to give the end-user more freedom with the images themselves...Most would recommand you to bump the sharpness/contrast setting up in camera(when shooting jpg mode anyhow) to get them to output similar to P&S.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 1:25 PM   #3

steveng,
Nothing is wrong....
I had the same issue when I first shot my 7D.
Minolta's internal post processing's is not set up like most point and shoots. Most P/S's have their color and sharpness tweaked up for instant printing.
Minolta sets their default DSLR's processing to be tweaked later in Photoshop or Corel.
If you do not wish to mess with your pictures and go instantly to print, you can go in your menu and set the DEC (Digital Effects Control) up one setting for Color and Sharpness.
yoza717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:11 PM   #4

yoza717 wrote:
Quote:
steveng,
Nothing is wrong....
I had the same issue when I first shot my 7D.
Minolta's internal post processing's is not set up like most point and shoots. Most P/S's have their color and sharpness tweaked up for instant printing.
Minolta sets their default DSLR's processing to be tweaked later in Photoshop or Corel.
If you do not wish to mess with your pictures and go instantly to print, you can go in your menu and set the DEC (Digital Effects Control) up one setting for Color and Sharpness.
I agree completely. I still mostly use JPG and find that I often have to tweak a bit to get the shots as spunky looking as the other P&S cameras I have. I prefer to leave the in camera settings alone and play with the images later because I have on occation come across an image right from the camera that is much better without the extra processing. If I let the camera do that extra bit I'd loose those shots that I didnt want it done on.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:18 PM   #5

shoot in 'RAW'
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:49 PM   #6
Administrator

The sensors used in a Digital Camera are more reflective than film. So, your photos can be a bit washed out from lack of contrast due to flare with some lenses if camera settings are not your problem.

I don't know about the Sigma 28-200mm you are using (they may make more than one of these). But, the only Sigma 28-200mm I see rated at http://www.photozone.de got a user optical quality rating of 0.29 when used on a DSLR (on a scale of 0 to 5). This was based on 7 users responding. It was also rated as having heavy flare.

Only one other lens available for Miniolta cameras ever got a lower score (one of the Vivitars managed to get an even lower 0.28 rating). You can see these in the User Performance Surveys there.

That's *bad* (the best lenses are rated at higher than 4.0, and even *very poor* quality lenses often rate higher than a 1.0). Sub Average lenses are usually in the 2's, and good lenses are usually in the 3's (and this Sigma was closer to a 0 rating).

So, my biggest suspect would be the lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:20 AM   #7
Super Moderator

i am with jim here... sounds like a lens issue..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:01 PM   #8

could be that you are using the adobe rgb color space and do not have a monitor calibrated for that...
photov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:05 AM   #9

menu settings for 7D jpeq:

natural+

sharpness +2

saturation +1

ready for printing from camera but not the maximum quality possible
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote