Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:37 AM   #11

ANY 18 mm will give the mentioned distortion
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:41 PM   #12
Super Moderator

the sigma handles distortion quite well only approx 1.2% at 18mm, which is better than the canon 17-40 at 17mm and the sigma 18-50 at 18mm.. 2 highly regarded lenses..

most of what i have read rates the sigma at 170-180, never seen a rating of 155..

most reviews favor the sigma, but obviously not all, so what that tells me is that these two lenses are very close, and that copy variability is a bigger difference than the variability between the two lenses... so get which ever one is cheaper or more readily available..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:48 PM   #13

Very interested in seeing a three way comparision of these lenses. Nikon have their new 18-200 which is about to be released, and the MTF charts look pretty impressive considering the range of the lense. I think I'd still prefer a 5D over a Nikon D70s though, and upgrading from an A1 means I don't have to spend up on spare batteries as they both take the same NP-400. I'm wanting to get this camera in the next few weeks, so I think I might just go with the Tamron as my walk around lens, as the less than advertised range of the Sigma will leave me coming up a little short on what I'm after.
brashquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:48 AM   #14

converging parallel lines at extreme wide angle when taking 'architectural' shots IS NOT DISTORTION but a property of ANY lens when not shooting 'square' to the subject
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:03 AM   #15

I've just bought a Minolta DT 18-200mm lens for my new 7D and i am quite impressed with it, I got it from digistor, http://www.digistor.co.uk/?lid=6448at £249.99 it was miles cheaper than anyone else and about the same as a tamron or sigma version. I did have a Sigma 18-200 a while back on a D70 but personally I thought that was awful, I switched back to a 18-125 which was much better. This minolta lens was one of the reasons I switched from the D70, I did look at the Nikon 18-200 VR lens but it is so heavy and almost twice the length of the Minolta one
seven-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:47 AM   #16

Just to say that I have used the Sigma 18-200 for some 4 months now on my Pentax *1st DS .. i have been very pleased with it. i have found that it focuses fairly quickly ... but is a little noisy.

I think it is better at 18 and quality eases off at the telephoto end. On balance that suits me.

I usually use primes ... and have a habit of wandering around for a day with one prime .... how would i use this here etc. the quality of results is measurably better. On the other hand going away for a while with minimal gear .. i think the sigma is great value :-)
tombell1 is offline   Reply With Quote