Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 14, 2005, 8:39 AM   #1

Has anyone got any suggestions for a good cheap 18-200mm lens for the KM 5D? Will be mainly using it for outdoor sports. Are there any kits with the KM 5D body and this lens instead of the standard 18-70mm zoom? (UK)
pjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:52 AM   #2

There is a Tamron/KM 18-200 DT lens for 5D, I think it retails around 5-600 usd. Its only usable on the 5D/7D since its designed only for the APS-C cropped camera. I don't know how good it is.

I am using a used 70-210 f/4 for the longer stuff right now. the lens is probably more than 10 years old now. They are widely available on eBay. Very good lens, quite fast outdoor under sunlight. And very sharp. Lower focal range I am just using the 18-70 kit lens, not so sharp that one is. If you don't use the wide end as much I'd suggest you pick up the good condition 70-210 (f/4 is good, so is the 3.5-4.5, not the newer 4.5-5.6 stuff) for around 100-150 USD(or less sometime), and buy a better lens than the kit lens if you find it to be inadequete in quality(I have a 28-135mm, also used, haven't use it much yet, but its a lot sharper. Through it's not that fast at f4-4.5, costs about 150). the new 28-75 f2.8D is also a good lens in the mid range zoom, it goes for about 400 USD for the KM version, and 100 less in Tamron.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 2:00 PM   #3

There are/will be three 18-200mm lenses for KM on the UK market.

1. The Tamron Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro at about £270.

2. The KM 18-200mm at about £360 which some say is made by Tamron (others deny this).

3. The Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC supposedly due next month in KM fit retails for about the same as the Tamron.

There are tests of the Tamron and Sigma lenses in this months Outdoor Photography magazine.

The only deal that I know with a 5D and an 18-200mm lens is from Mathers of Lancashire for £799 (they do the 5D/18-70mm kit for £499).
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 4:44 AM   #4
jkp

Quote:
There are tests of the Tamron and Sigma lenses in this months Outdoor Photography magazine.
....cannot find that mag here, can you explain the conclusion of the tests ?

jkp
jkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 1:38 PM   #5

Here is a brief synopsis of the Outdoor Photography mag review.

Quote:
Both are reckoned to be reasonable walkaround lenses, but the Tamron comes out ahead of the Sigma in the review.

The Tamron is a bit soft at the long end of it's range as is the Sigma, but when they measured the focal length the Sigma was found to have a real range of 18-155mm. The focusing of the Tamron was noisy and that of the Sigma oversensitive. The Sigma is very sharp from about 18mm to 50mm, but very soft at the telephoto end.
I have seen sveral reports from KM users of the Tamron, all of which were favourable. Of course the KM lens is also available now.

Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:52 PM   #6
jkp

Hmm, thats more or less focusing on the Tamron if i read correctly.

It says that Sigma is very sharp at low end, does it mean that the Tamron is softer there ?

jkp
Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:53 PM   #7
jkp

It says that Sigma is very sharp at low end, does it mean that the Tamron is softer there ?

jkp
Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:53 PM   #8
jkp

jkp
Old Nov 15, 2005, 5:10 PM   #9

I think that what they are saying is that the Tamron is sharp enough at the short end, but the Sigma is very sharp. At the long end, the Tamron is better than the Sigma. Don't forget that this is only one review and I am very wary when it comes to magazine reviews.

I have also seen it written that the geometry of the Sigma is very good at the short end, but well out at the long end, whereas the Tamron is spot on at the long end and not perfect at the short end.

Also interesting is that they only measured a max focal length of 155mm on the Sigma.

A Japanese web site found CA on the Tamron but has retested tinking that there may be a fault with the lens.

As I said above, KM users that have expressed their experiences with the Tamron seem to like it. Don't forget that all of these superzoom lenses are a compromise and will fall down in performance somewhere.

They still seem to be the way to go for a walkaround lens though.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:28 AM   #10
jkp

Thanks again for good info.

My basic problem is that i am used to 10X zoom (~38-380mm) in my previus prosumer cam, using the whole range a lot.

For the KM i have the kit 18-70 and a AF 75-300 f4,5-5,8, its gives me a lot of changes of lenses. The 18-70 have lots of distorsion in wide angle, you know where lines is not straight which gives bad photos of architecture and similar.

jkp