Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 1, 2005, 4:47 PM   #11

So you're shooting in manual, right? You're setting the shutter speed you want to achieve an artistic effect, but you can't control aperture. HOWEVER, you CAN control ISO, the sensitivity of the sensor, from 100 to 3200! I think that's your ticket.

You could also obtain an ND filter to increase your possibilities, but it would be a pretty large (expensive) filter. Or if the price doesn't bother you, get TWO polarizer filters and stack them. Turning one and not the other will give you the same effect as an iris, with much more range but no improvement in depth of field, and a possible loss of sharpness. It might also mess up color, but that's PhotoShop-able. I really should do that for mine!
jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:23 PM   #12

the minolta Af reflex 500mm f8 comes equiped with a dedicated 'drop in' 2x ND filter

this lens is so well designed you must remove the clear qlass filter (so that the ND does not add an optical element) !!!

the filter stores in an internal compartment in the soft slip-on lens cap
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:46 AM   #13

I think I'll pick one of these up around Christmas time when I go down to NYC....hmm 750mm...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 2:58 PM   #14

enjoy !
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote