Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 18, 2005, 5:14 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi All,

I have been trying to justify the Minolta 500mm mirror lens to myself, but the £400 + for it at the moment is a little more than I can afford. Have any of you played with the Opteka equivalent??? I know that it is not going to be as good, but for such a low price will it suffice until I can get the better option. If you have used one, can you post some results at 1:1 crop???

Thanks a lot for your help,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:10 AM   #2

NO AUTO-FOCUS

remember:

You get what you pay for! Why spend twicwe? SAVE UP
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:15 PM   #3

I use two mirrors, a Spiratone 500mm and a Celestron 1000mm. I find they give only the performance you'd expect of a mirror. No AF, no iris (at least on these) and poor sharpness. Here at work I can put my fingers on an experiment with the Spiratone: Singer/violinist Steven Sandoval of Mariachi Vargas in an outdoor public gala in Guadalajara on Sep 1st. Probably about 75 yards distance, poor light, monopod only. Jpg fine, ISO 3200, 1/45sec, f8. In other words, everything's conspiring to make a totally worthless shot! I cropped it severely to get the filesize down for the forum, but no other mods.

I guess, all things considered, it's not so bad for a record shot - proof that I saw Steven singing! Two days later we had $100 2nd row seats in the theater, but cameras were not allowed.

Anyway, be aware that mirrors don't deliver National Geographic quality, or they would use them all the time. If you're driven by a desire for compactness rather than low cost, go for the glass and forget compactness!
Attached Images

jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 5:33 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanks guys. I think that I will wait a while and get some better glass in my camera bag. Happy shooting!!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 7:22 AM   #5

Is there any focus confirmation when using these lenses?

Rudolf.

jimjomac wrote:
Quote:
I use two mirrors, a Spiratone 500mm and a Celestron 1000mm. I find they give only the performance you'd expect of a mirror. No AF, no iris (at least on these) and poor sharpness. Here at work I can put my fingers on an experiment with the Spiratone: Singer/violinist Steven Sandoval of Mariachi Vargas in an outdoor public gala in Guadalajara on Sep 1st. Probably about 75 yards distance, poor light, monopod only. Jpg fine, ISO 3200, 1/45sec, f8. In other words, everything's conspiring to make a totally worthless shot! I cropped it severely to get the filesize down for the forum, but no other mods.

I guess, all things considered, it's not so bad for a record shot - proof that I saw Steven singing! Two days later we had $100 2nd row seats in the theater, but cameras were not allowed.

Anyway, be aware that mirrors don't deliver National Geographic quality, or they would use them all the time. If you're driven by a desire for compactness rather than low cost, go for the glass and forget compactness!
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:10 AM   #6

KM 7D with Minolta AUTO FOCUS Reflex (mirror) 500mm f8

(original jpeg 4.5 meg file printable 11x14)

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:23 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:09 PM   #7

orion999 wrote:

Quote:
Is there any focus confirmation when using these lenses?
My mirrors are old non-AF lenses I used to use on my X-700. Confirmation by eye only! And focus is difficult, btw, esp in low light. Is the Opteka AF?

Bernabeu' s shot is superb! Daylight helps, no doubt, but I'd like to know if the optics are that much sharper too. Or maybe just that he didn't have to crop the beans out of it. I always assumed the sharpness problem was inherent to mirrors, due to the intervening secondary mirror in the center. Anything in the optical path reduces contrast and sharpness.

I'd love to borrow an Opteka!
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:04 AM   #8

the (new)minolta AF reflex 500mm f8 is an AUTO FOCUS lens

it only uses the center spot and will indicate focus in the viewfinder in the normal manner

IT IS TACK SHARP except for the characteristic donut shaped oof b/g highlights
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:03 PM   #9

Sounds like a great lens! Not sure I can justify the cost...
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:34 PM   #10

question about using the AF 500 Reflex, I like to do panshot with cars and to enhance the effect I usually use a slower speed to get the feel of motion on area thats not in focus. On a normal lens to compensate for overexposure I'd stop down a few notch to reduce the light. How can you do something similar with a mirror lens with a fixed f8 aparture?

Note I only do daylight shots...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote