Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:36 AM   #1

Hi,

I would like to hear your recommendations or experiences on this combo.

Thanks,

John Randall

jdrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:50 AM   #2

I have a 7D and a Sigma 500 Super DG and it does well in most cases. Sometimes it does over expose on closeup shots but so does my built in flash. I love the bounce feature, in a room I can swing it all the way around so it points just above my head. This way the flash bounces off the wall behind me and the ceiling give no shadows at all. I can also use it off camera and it works well "wireless"

Bob

. :-)
bsteaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 5:49 PM   #4

Hi,

I bought a Sigma 500 Super after I posted my question and here is what I have found in using it with the 7D. First of all, I had aproblem with overexposure only on a few occasions, when I first started trying it out. There was an extra slip of paper, in the instruction info that said when using the 500 with a 7D to set the flash head to FP (HSS) mode. When I did that I had a real bad problem with underexposure even when setting the flash exposure compensation to +2 (still underexposed by about .5 stops).I have found that if Iset both the 7D and the Sigma 500 to TTL pre-flashmode and using P or Aexposure mode I get proper exposures with a flash compensation setting of +1. I also only use a Sto-Fen Omnibounce and point the flash up about 70 deg. It seems to me that the ADI mode does not work on the 7D with any external flash or the built-inflash. I am happy with the set-up I have now but, I'm not 100% confident in it.

Hope this helps,

John Randall
Old Dec 4, 2005, 6:31 PM   #5

In most cases, I can only shoot in FP mode with direct flash on the subject.

However, in nonFPmode, itworks well for very long distances and outside.

The FP mode goes away when you bounce. I haven't had a bad flash picture that way except in the smallest and reflective ceiling rooms.

I've also had great exposures in wireless, both 2:1 and 1:2, with bounce,:shock:

and in a average sized room.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:00 PM   #6

Well thanks for the answers. This means my worries are real and there is no sense in sending it to Sigma..one more question: are you both having Firmware 1.10 or have you not upgraded?
I tried to switch the camera in the shop and the one that had the 1.00 FW did ok on exposure. For me this was a sign that the camera had an issue and I sent it off.Unfortunately KM said camera is ok. So now I have to live with a flash I bought for indirect flashing and it's useless at short (up to 5m ) distances. A pity. I hope Sigma will do something about the fact that you can only use it in FP mode properly and that tilting it switches the FP mode off.. Rgds from Switzerland
SwissShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:16 PM   #7

Yes, I have the latest firmware version.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"John
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:44 PM   #8

Yes to 1.10. I did some experiments with ADI and TTL. I got the same over exposure

everyone else is talking about on ADI. Guess I always shoot TTL flash. BTW - do your lenses have 8 gold contacts on the back or just 5. This may make a difference.

I have a Sigma 17-35mm with 5 contacts and a Tamron 28-300 with 8 contacts? I just keep it on TTL (FP) when I'm shooting flash. I do know thatmy classrooms and my residence have a white reflective paint on the walls and ceiling, (Chinese effeciency to save energy) so this can fool the camera and flash.

I also ordered a Minolta 5600HS for Christmas. Now I can compare!

:|

Bob

Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:58 PM   #9

I'm looking forward to your comparison. Btw I've got all kinds of lenses but the overexposure in non FP mode is defintely there , indepenant of the lens, 5 or 8 contacts.
What a weird thing..buying the best Sigma Flasha available and then you can't use it else than FP mode..my dealer offered me to take it back so I'm waiting on your KM flash impression. Rgds
SwissShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 2:46 PM   #10
Administrator

I don't own one, but I've seen comments from those that do. My suggestion would be to go with the a Metz 54MZ4 with the latest SCA3302M5 foot (it's got to be the M5 version to work right).

This Metz has it's own built in sensor (just like a typical auto thyristor flash) for measuring reflected light during the exposure using it's Auto Mode. But, since the SCA3302 communicates with the camera, it's aware of the camera's aperture and ISO speed. Using the Metz Auto Mode also eliminates the preflash you get with other dedicated solutions.

So, you get the best of both worlds (flash exposure controlled by the flash, like an older Auto Thryistor), without needing to set the flash to match the camera every time you change Aperture or ISO speed (since it's aware of the camera's settings).

It will also work in HSS (or other dedicated modes), but, then, it's no longer using it's own built in sensor to measure reflected light during the exposure.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote