Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 25, 2005, 8:15 PM   #1

I bought the 7D with the 28-100 lens. It's one of the less expensive AF lenses, but I'm quite happy with it. My problem is that the 28mm end equates to a 42mm lens in film terms, and this is not wide enough.

KM or other lenses wide enough (12 or 17mm) run a minimum of $500, which is a lot more than I can spend for a spare lens. I'm looking at wide angle converters, but I'm not finding the right one with a 55mm mount.

Has anyone gone the converter way, particularly with a 55mm mount? If not, what would be your recommendations...?

Thanks,

George
argie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2005, 6:31 PM   #2

Here I go, answering my own question.

I continued looking for this converter and I think I found the right lens. It's the Olympus WCON 0.7x Wide Angle lens. It's made for various Olympus cameras, which require a 49-55mm step-up ring because the converter itself has a 55mm male... which happens to be just perfect for my 28-100mm lens with a 55mm female thread.

I've read several excellent reviews on this lens, and the samples look very good as well. I found the best price at Amazon, $109, with free shipping.

My 28mm low end (42mm in film terms for the 7D) will give me an effective wide angle of just under 30mm, also in film terms. I would have preferred a 28 or even a 24, but I'm happy with my find given the hard time I had looking for the right fit.

George
Old Nov 26, 2005, 8:11 PM   #3

To be honest I'd consider getting the 5D kit lens instead if you can afford that. At 18-70 (28-105 after crop) you'll be about the same as with the converter and you're 28-100 but you'll retain the size and function of the lens with no converter. I've seen them for around $150 on ebay but that may already be out of you're price range.

As a side note...I have a 5D with the 18-70 and also havea Oly Wcon 08 with 55mm threads for my Panasonic FZ's. I tried it out on my KM but it didn't play too well. There was significant flare issues compared to the kit lens alone and the image wasn't clean in the corners (vignetting sp?) until I had an effective 24-25mm so it wasn't a huge advantage. Perhaps the Wcon 07 is a little better but I would try to find one to try first hand before buying.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 8:12 PM   #4

Oh yeah...the wcons are pretty big too. The kit lens struggled noticeably while focusing with that big glass out in front of it.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 3:47 PM   #5

Thanks a lot, Troy...!

I had already purchased the wide angle converter from Amazon, but was able to cancel the order in time.

I found the 18-70 Minolta lens on EBay for $95 (although with shipping of $17 the effective price is more like $110, a game many power sellers play). Still, my total of $112 is quite close to the converter, and I fully agree with you this is a much better choice...

George
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:36 AM   #6

Glad to help if I can.