Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 3, 2005, 6:43 PM   #1

I'm going to buy a 5D, I would like a little more reach than the kit 18x70, I have thought about the sigma 18x125 or 18x200, question?, will they be as fast to focus? as good in quality?, and will the IS in the camera be good enough to take some long shots without a tripod? or will I be just about as well off with the kit lens?This is my first time with a "Real camera" just been a point and shoot guy. Thaks for you help, I need some good advise:?uy a 5D
jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:10 PM   #2

the kit lens is a 'point and shoot' lens

the whole point of a slr (digital or film) is lens interchangeability

you need (allowing for 1.5x factor):

24mm f2.8

50mm f1.7

70-210mm f3.4-4.5

this will give you the equivalent range of 36-315mm
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:38 PM   #3

I am on the same path, having owned Minolta 35mm slr's in the past I'm looking to buy a 5d. My issue is whether I'd be ahead buying the lens seperately or the kit lens. Even Steve says that the kit lens isn't the greatest, which gets me thinking that maybe I should buy the body and lens seperately.

The question above wasn't answered fully and is a big part of what I want to know...are those sigma or even tamron lenses better than the included kit lens? I'm not asking about focal length, but about the quality of the lens itself. There isn't much price difference between buying the camera with the lens vs. the body and lens seperately (less than $80 US) making price not an issue for meon this matter.

I have other questions on the 5d, but am going down to the local camera shop to get one in my hands before I get too far down that path. One question that is really eating at me lately is whether or not the 7d would be a better option, with the $200 rebate currently offered there is only $200 difference in price. I'm not a professional though and have to realize that there is always a better camera for a couple hundred extra bucks. This would be my first dslr and indeed my first autofocus slr of any type so the upgrade is going to be very cool.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 3:12 PM   #4

hand held 500mm f8

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:23 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 5:25 PM   #5

Hey there. I would say you will be better off getting the 5d, and using any money you save on the quality of the lens, or getting another lens altogether. I have the 5d and love it. Sure, with the 7d you get added performance/ and camera layout, but the picture quality is the same.

To start out, the tamron or the sigma 18-200 would be great walk around lenses. That should cover most all your focal ranges and situations. You arent that bad off though with the kit lens, and the 5d lens is longer range than the 7ds.

Like the other posts mention, you will want some other lenses. The first on the list would be a fast prime like the 50mm 1.7 This along with the image stabilization and high iso range of the camera will let you take great low light shots that you could never ever get with a point and shoot without a flash. Great for indoor gatherings and such. they can be had for less than $80 new if your not shooting macro.

Yes, cameras are confusing to start out in. to sum it up. I dont think you can go wrong with either the 5d and kit lens, or the 5d and the tamron/sigma 18-200. I wouls add the 50,, 1.7 prime and see where that takes you. The image stabilization allows you to take hand held photos without a tripod at longer focal ranges and or at slower shutter speeds (low light situations) but it is not a miracle worker. so, you could say use a 1/60th second exposure where before you may have needed like 1/250. Or say shoot at 300mm hand held for sharp pic. But you are not going to be shotting 1 sec exposures or at 500 mm hand held with an untrained hand, and it makes no difference about blur due to subject movement, only your own. So jump in, get the 5d some lenses and start shooting. If you grow into a serious photog, the I think you would outgrow the 7d just as quick. If anything, you might want more MP later on down the road. I wish the camera had 8 instead of 6, but then the tradeoff is better iso range than the rebel.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:24 PM   #6

magnesium alloy vs. plastic

93% viewfinder vs. 81%

12 shot multiple burst RAW vs. 5 shot

major controls via knobs & dials vs. 'buried in menu'

etc. etc. etc.

$200 difference

tough choice
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:50 PM   #7

There are other considerations for me when I choose between the 5d and 7d, not just a $200 price difference. I was certain I was going with a 5d before the 7d dropped so much in price with the rebate. Also I took the opportunity today to hold and use both, the 7d is definately a better camera. I just need to decide if I'll use the added features enough to justify any added expense. I do appreciate the advice though, it has me thinking ...
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote