Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 28, 2005, 6:11 PM   #11
Administrator

My theory is thatthe entire BF issue with the 7D probably boils down to a bad adhesive on the hex screws that control AF sensor alignment.

If I had to guess (strictly speculation), the adhesive manufacturer didn't spec their product correctly. So, despite KM's best efforts to deliver a high quality product, a tiny thing slipped through the cracks causing some owners to exhibitBF problems as the screws turned a bit due to the adhesive not holding.

From what I've seen reported by some users, a very tiny amount of screw movement causes a big difference in AF, with only around1/4 turn clockwise on the 3 hex screws (under a piece ofrubber at the bottom of the camera) correcting severe backfocus problems.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:50 AM   #12

JimC,

The problemI have with Minolta is that I did not realize the camera was malfunctioning ALL ALONG (very 'soft focus' images). I just thought it was the 'digital thing with dslr' and that it was customary to have major PP issues. After I switched to manual focus (difficult for me with my astigmatism w/o a split image screen) I find that the shots are printable 8x10 right out of camera (sharpness set at middle)!

I hope that KM gets it calibrated PROPERLY (I expect it to be 'spot on' at f1.7).

If they can not make their product perform as expected (and advertised) I expect a full refund INCLUDING MY "NEW" 80-200 f2.8 APO (which I purchased specifically because of the digital 1.5 factor).

They will be given 3 attempts before I bring court action (under the 'fitness for intended purpose' doctrine).

Will keep you informed.

John

ps. 'acceptable' AF @ medium f stopsbecause it falls somewhere within the DOF is not good enough ona $1600 body - i expect it to actually focus where pointed and confirmed

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 9:38 PM   #13

I was considering the 7D... now I'm not so sure!
MagicMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 5:04 AM   #14

Depends if you get one thats calibrated well, If you test it in the shop and make sure you take the card out and view it on a propper screen you will be ok. Other than the focus problems, the camera is fantastic. I hope KM can resolve these problems so I can get back to using it.
Radweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:20 AM   #15

Unfortunately, I'd have to order online - nearest shop with one in stock is over 200 miles away!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 2:47 PM   #16

i had one of the earlier models

i would assume (hope) KM has the focus bug squashed by now
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:53 AM   #17

I just got my 7D back from KM @ Mahwah, NJ (they returned it overnight UPS)

Auto Focus now works PERFECTLY

The repair (in warranty) stated: adj. AF pitch and yaw 3/2

(imo: randomly turning the 3 screws in is NOT a good fix)

I can now take a shot (with camera sharpness set +1) and print it razor sharp WITHOUT ANY POST-PROCESSING

The difference it made is astounding! In adition to having a full featured SLR the camera can now be used on full auto just like a P&S with IMMEDIATE PRINTABILITY of razor sharp images.

I will remain a loyal Minolta fan

Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:54 PM   #18
Administrator

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
I just got my 7D back from KM @ Mahwah, NJ (they returned it overnight UPS)

Auto Focus now works PERFECTLY

The repair (in warranty) stated: adj. AF pitch and yaw 3/2

(imo: randomly turning the 3 screws in is NOT a good fix)
Well, if I were trying to adjust one, I wouldn't randomly turn the screws. ;-)

I'd set up good targets for the camera (using a tripod), and very carefully adjust the screws (with the smallest increments possible), then take test photos between adjustments, examining them on screen until I got the AF adjusted "just right"

I'd test all AF sensors and note if one corner's focus was off cmpared to another corners, when using a given AF point, seeing what impact adjusting a given screw has to get them evened out.

But, KM is going to use a more sophisticated method, and they've got the expertise to do it (without a need to worry if doing it yourself could violate the warranty, or if you'd accidently damage the camera).

Personally, if I had a 7D with an AF calibration problem, I'd just do it myself. I've seen others report success (and how easy it was to adjust). LOL

But, my 5D is "spot on" (testing with a 100mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.7), so I don't need to try and figure out how to adjust a 5D. :-)

Quote:
I can now take a shot (with camera sharpness set +1) and print it razor sharp WITHOUT ANY POST-PROCESSING
Yep, I know the feeling.

I've been absolutely amazed by the sharpness of some photos, especially with a 100mm f/2 (from the 5D). Most of mine are shooting in raw, mostly using raw converter defaults with no further post processing like USM, etc.

I switch between a few of them, depending on the image.

A lens as sharp as the 100mm f./2 doesn't need any Post Processing. With some photos, it's too sharp. :-)

I'm glad you got your 7D working right.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 1:19 PM   #19

JimC,

I used the word 'randomly' in the generic sense. I meant that w/o precise 'bench type' equipment it becomes a (laborious) trial and error effort to make adjustments in a 3 dimensional space: pitch - yaw - ?distance? ( or x-y-z planes).

Thanks for all your help and input. W/O you and this forum I would have junked the entire digital 'thing' and gone back to film.

IMO: a great # of dSLR are probably shipped 'clean enough' and 'calibrated enough' instead of 'spot on' - the average user who does not have top end glass will probably never know the difference and be well satisfied (as I was for 11 months until I used a particular lens at a particular aperture at a particular range)

Oh well, business as usual in the modern world -> "good 'nuff"

John

Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:50 PM   #20

I suppose it's also possible that over time the sensor has slowly moved (as is entirely possible with any product that gets exposure to heat indoors and cold outside regularly) and so it's only just got to a point where you said "hang on, something's up"